Worst thing ever in your pool?

About eight years ago, when I first set up our pool, I didn't realize how long it would take to fill the thing with water. Finally after a long day ... it was too dark to do anything but wait for morning. When I went out first thing to check ... there was large dead crow floating by the skimmer. I scooped it out and shocked. I never told anyone ... I didn't want to think it was an bad omen or something. I do always wonder if it just fell in and drown or if it was something else ??? A few weeks later ... we started to hear about WEST NILE VIRUS. It just makes me wonder ... .

Recently, I had a lawn mower attempt to kill my pool by slashing it in three separate places with a sharp edge. I don't think it was trying to get into the pool, just "doing it's job mowing the lawn." Thankfully, with a splasher - small holes stay small.

dpool

Tadpoles. Billions and billions of tadpoles.

When I first started resurrecting the pool for the house we bought, I got most of the garbage cleaned out before we had to be gone for a few days, but hadn't started chlorine treatment yet. Apparently the local frogs appreciated my efforts. When we got back, the surface of the pool was literally black with the tiniest of tadpoles. It took a long time to clean them all out, and in my mind I could hear their tiny little screams as I launched them over the fence into oblivion.

My dog, on the other hand, thought a cement pond full of little wigglers was a special treat just for him to play with, and the herons hung out for a couple days hoping for another such bonanza to fall from the sky.

speedysteve said:
snakes,.... spiders.. more spiders.... cleaning out skimmers is a far more hazordous process than I expected....

SS

Find a skimmer Angel - they are really a nice option if you don't want to reach into the depths.

The usual bugs: beetles, wolf spiders.
Tons of frogs - listening to the "symphony" right now, trying to go to bed.
...aaaaaand of course, there was the snake. Sweeping out the liner, before adding water, I felt a "bump" under the liner. I immediately jumped back realizing it was a snake under the liner. Since it gets pretty toasty in Florida, I assume it was dead. I started to feel for it again, and it was GONE!! It was under the liner, and alive! Luvly. The next morning, I figured it was the best time to find it - it was cold, moving slow and I would have my best chance at catching it.

I slowly peeled back the liner from the coping, checking every 10 feet or so. Nothing. The only place it could possibly be is under the steps - and there's no way I'm taking out the trim pieces. So, I unhook the liner from the right side of the steps, and lift the liner as high as I can to see under the steps. Sure enough, there it is. Just a simple black racer - thank goodness!

I get the squeegee and slowly pull it out from under the steps - and it wants no part of it!! It starts to slither back under the liner and steps!! I reach under again with the squeegee and start to pull it out again...in one move I grab the tail, swing it around overhead twice and launch it into the backyard like a hammer throw in the Olympics.

My wife, daughter and mother are stunned I grabbed it!!

And, my neighbor tells me there was an alligator in the pool once. Long before we bought the house...but I can't claim that incident.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
du7ejuru.jpg

I was thinking about animals and forgot about this.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.