Winterize pool in North Carolina?

dphanes

Aug 19, 2020
NC
We have a new IG pool and with this being our first winter we are wondering whether most folks winterize their pool in North Carolina or just run the pump when it is going to bet below freezing?

Thanks for feedback.

First winter with a pool and am wondering if it is possible to winterize an in ground pool where the pool equipment is at a lower elevation than the waterline of the pool.

thanks

Reactions: markayash
First winter with a pool and am wondering if it is possible to winterize an in ground pool where the pool equipment is at a lower elevation than the waterline of the pool.
Yes. Same concepts would apply really by clearing the lines with air then securing the suction and return ports with plugs. The link below shold help you.

Does anybody wrap their exposed pool pipes in “heat tape” to cut down on the chance of broken pipes due to freezing
If the lines are properly cleared with air, that's not really necessary since there should be no water inside to expand. Some owners who keep their pool running might choose to wrap the exposed pipes with something in case the pump stops.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I’m in South Carolina just south of Charlotte. My pool equipment is in an insulated shed and is below the water line of the pool. This is my second winter with the pool and my first with a variable speed pump. All I did was put a cover on my pool, took out the salt cell and cleaned and stored it, balanced the chemicals, and put some choline tabs into the skimmer. I’m going to just let the pump run at around 1200RPM most winter. If it’s constantly running I doubt I’ll have any problems. Last winter I would just turn on the pump if it dropped into the 20s.

put some choline tabs into the skimmer.

You should put trichlor tablets in a floater and not in your skimmer.

Trichor contains acid. When the pump is off the tablets are still dissolving and creating highly acidic water in the skimmer. When the pump turns on you have a slug of acid flowing through all your pool equipment. That is not good and can damage stuff.

Reactions: wireform
You should put trichlor tablets in a floater and not in your skimmer.

Trichor contains acid. When the pump is off the tablets are still dissolving and creating highly acidic water in the skimmer. When the pump turns on you have a slug of acid flowing through all your pool equipment. That is not good and can damage stuff.
I’m going to run the pump 24/7 at around 1200 rpm or so.

Winston would be on the borderline, I think. Check with locals. I think it will be about 50-50. Your pipes will be deep enough not to freeze and it would take a heck of a cold spell to freeze the exposed pipes (pump running). My choice would be to leave it open but others may choose to close.

Winston would be on the borderline, I think. Check with locals. I think it will be about 50-50. Your pipes will be deep enough not to freeze and it would take a heck of a cold spell to freeze the exposed pipes (pump running). My choice would be to leave it open but others may choose to close.
I am thinking about using heat cable on the exposed PVC just to be safe.

Hey, chiming in here with comments and a question about winterization chemical levels. I live in Chapel Hill, NC just outside of Raleigh.

We have about 20-30 nights of freezing weather from Nov - Mar. I have 3 different systems - the pool/spa pump and filter, spa jet pump, and then a waterfall pump. Because we use the spa in the winter I keep the pool/spa going in the winter which goes into freeze protection during those cold spells. The pool has a retractible cover, so its not exposed to the sun in the winter and I run the pool pump at lower RPM. However, I winterize the waterfall so it's not running during those 20+ nights/days. For the waterfall pump and line winterization, I blow air in through the pump drain plug then cap the outlet lines in the pool - not a difficult process. I use a small air compresser ($30 from walmart) with a special fitting to connects to the waterfall pump drain plug (hardware store plumping dept).

So here is my question - given the winter climate with the water 99% of the time below 50 degrees, what should my chemical protocol be for the pool? I am new to the TFP method this past season and it worked very well for me. I had high CYA in my past trichlor puck method. So I've been using the Pool Math app, testing frequently and its been fantastic.

But I'm not quite clear how the pool should be chemically balanced when not in use in the winter. Can I set it and forget, or do I need to monitor it and how often?

Hey, chiming in here with comments and a question about winterization chemical levels. I live in Chapel Hill, NC just outside of Raleigh.

We have about 20-30 nights of freezing weather from Nov - Mar. I have 3 different systems - the pool/spa pump and filter, spa jet pump, and then a waterfall pump. Because we use the spa in the winter I keep the pool/spa going in the winter which goes into freeze protection during those cold spells. The pool has a retractible cover, so its not exposed to the sun in the winter and I run the pool pump at lower RPM. However, I winterize the waterfall so it's not running during those 20+ nights/days. For the waterfall pump and line winterization, I blow air in through the pump drain plug then cap the outlet lines in the pool - not a difficult process. I use a small air compresser ($30 from walmart) with a special fitting to connects to the waterfall pump drain plug (hardware store plumping dept).

So here is my question - given the winter climate with the water 99% of the time below 50 degrees, what should my chemical protocol be for the pool? I am new to the TFP method this past season and it worked very well for me. I had high CYA in my past trichlor puck method. So I've been using the Pool Math app, testing frequently and its been fantastic.

But I'm not quite clear how the pool should be chemically balanced when not in use in the winter. Can I set it and forget, or do I need to monitor it and how often?
Not much is going to change once the water temp drops to the 50s. Keep some liquid chlorine in stock. Pool will use very little all winter long. Keep it at target level and probably won't need to add too often.

This was helpful...a link posted above....^^^^...Read Preparing Pool for Cooler Months - Further Reading.

My only challenge is where to add liquid chlorine since I'd prefer not to have to roll back the cover each time. I've been applying the LC via the low to the water pour in method as I walk around the pool. So not quite sure how this will work without opening cover each time (once per week?)?

Thank you for the feedback.

If your CYA isn't high you can get a floater and add 1 or 2 tablets for the winter. That's all I have done and the tablets last.
My water always looks its best in cold weather and little chemicals :)

Atlanta has a strange cold snap this week, dropping in the low 20's a few nights.

Reactions: Brian8179
I'm in Raleigh and I close my pool. Since all my equipment is above the waterline, I just drain the pump and sand filter and loosen the PVC unions. I also put gizmos in the skimmers. While it is not necessary to close the pool, I just want 5-6 months of pool maintenance-free time where I don't need to check on any equipment. If I left it running, I'd need to check the equipment to see if it is still running and there are no leaks. I'm just not motivated in January to check the pool equipment.

Reactions: markayash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.