Closed Pool Starting Leaking Water at Pump - Can I Leave It Without Re-Winterizing?

Jun 16, 2015
Voorhees, NJ
I am in Southern New Jersey and have my pool winterized at the end of every season. I went outside yesterday and noticed that there was water draining from the pump. I closed the valve for the main pool drain, and the water stopped. I'm assuming that the air seal/lock was broken somehow. This is the first time that I've ever had this happen, and I'm not exactly sure what caused it. My question is whether it's okay to leave it like this if I'm not opening for a bit, or if I need to get the pool company back out to re-winterize. They're closed on Mondays, so I can call tomorrow if necessary. I usually open in May, but I can bump it up if needed. Fortunately, the lows are pretty much above freezing now, so I should catch a break there. I appreciate any advice!

The main drain valve remaining closed is what creates the air lock after the blowout of the line. Either it was opened without your knowledge releasing the air lock or never closed during the winterization process, which would be odd. It's a judgement call on your part if you want it blown out again. You know it's full of water and subject to freeze damage, the question is will there be another hard freeze in your area that will cause damage? Are you comfortable assuming that risk? Leaving it as is won't inherently hurt anything so long as there's no freeze.

The main drain valve remaining closed is what creates the air lock after the blowout of the line. Either it was opened without your knowledge releasing the air lock or never closed during the winterization process, which would be odd. It's a judgement call on your part if you want it blown out again. You know it's full of water and subject to freeze damage, the question is will there be another hard freeze in your area that will cause damage? Are you comfortable assuming that risk? Leaving it as is won't inherently hurt anything so long as there's no freeze.
Thanks. I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what they want to do. I have not touched the pool equipment since closing, so I think they just forgot to close the pool drain.

But wouldn't that mean your main drain was full of water all winter if they never closed it and likely already has freeze damage???? The reason the water is leaking is the ground finally warmed up with our recent warm spell and it unfroze allowing the water to leak out. I'm in NJ as well btw.

Reactions: Mdragger88
But wouldn't that mean your main drain was full of water all winter if they never closed it and likely already has freeze damage???? The reason the water is leaking is the ground finally warmed up with our recent warm spell and it unfroze allowing the water to leak out. I'm in NJ as well btw.
That is a good point. What's interesting is that I never had a leak when I closed it in early September. It was still above freezing for quite a while. I called them last week, and they acted like it was no big deal. I was under the impression that it just failed spontaneously. I certainly hope it didn't freeze, I guess I'll find out soon enough.

What's interesting is that I never had a leak when I closed it in early September.
It hadn't froze and broke the pipe / union yet.
I was under the impression that it just failed spontaneously
It failed because somebody opened the drain valve, or didn't close it in the first place, as said above.

Good luck and keep us posted. :)