which pump to drain above ground pool?

Young707

Jul 9, 2020
West Coast
We have a 1000 gallon above ground pool. Draining the pool for winter.
We used the normal pool pump to drain about half the water. Now the water level is below the pool pump water inlet and outlet.
The bottom to the pool rim is around 5 feet.
Which pump should we get to remove the rest of water?
We have couple long 50 ft garden hoses, but unable to suck the water over the pool rim.
Thank you for your help.

We have two 50 ft long garden hoses.
First reasonably new hose, tie to metal rod at water bottom. Garden hose flip over the 5 ft pool frame. Screw female hose end to faucet. Turn on water and see air bubbles till none. Unscrew the hose & drop to gutter. First quite a good water flow for few minutes. The slow drip of water.
The second old hose is even worse, flow last less than a minute. Then drips.
Had make sure no kink in hose.
Disappointed siphon results.

It always takes me a few tries, especially the keeping your hand over the end of the hose as you quickly run down the hill part. The whole process disconnecting the hose from the faucet and running it down hill needs to be done fairly quickly. They sell shaker siphon hoses at harbor freight as well.

You can try securing the part that’s in the pool to just below the water level to help with the elevation difference and then once you have some flow going lower it further into the water.
You can also make something like this if you don’t want to buy/ rent a pump

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can definitely hose siphon it but If you have the money a pump is a great investment. The Wayne pump above seems great. I have a regular Wayne submersible and the Amazon version of the Wayne cover pump. Both work very well and seem to be made well.

Here is the regular Wayne which I used to empty my old pool in the spring before it was replaced. It got the water it 1/4” I was able to let it dry after that.

WAYNE Waterbug 1/6 HP 1350 GPH Submersible Multi-Flo Technology-Water Removal and Transfer Pump, Yellow https://a.co/d/fDuLr2x

And here is the other cover pump that I recently got that’s working well for the cover so far:

Acquaer 1/4 HP Automatic Swimming Pool Cover Pump, 115 V Submersible Pump with 3/4” Check Valve Adapter & 25ft Power Cord, 2250 GPH Water Removal for Pool, Hot Tubs, Rooftops, Water Beds and more https://a.co/d/9rM7kBT

I got it on prime day for 111.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.