When do I open up after winter?

New to this pool thing, I closed it, Did not cover it, So when do I hook it back up? It has been getting in the low 60s and the pool is turning into a green mess, I added chlorine but I would like to run the pump. This is Iowa so im sure there will be more days below freezing. I am not talking about opening it for swimming way to cold and no heater. The pool has risen to just over the bottom of the skimmer so, I am scared the skimmer is going to freeze. it has an 1/2 full jug of antifreeze, plus when i closed it I put antifreeze in the skimmer, my pretty clear water has turned into a pond . . . still have not even swam in it.

If you want to lower the water buy a small sump pump and drop it a few more inch's..I am in Georgia and started my pump up 2 weeks ago but our "cold" days are usually around 30 :) and I just leave the pump running.

What is your water temp? I'll open mine when the water temp is approaching 60. It is still low 40s. You should not get any algae at low temps. If it was me, I would start hitting it with bleach and mix it with the brush (brush the walls after dumping in bleach).

well it still had about an inch of ice, with green algae on the edges. I added bleach 2 gallons of 10% it pretty much killed the algae, but then I got this white slime (assumed its dead algae). I just went ahead and hooked up the pump Sunday and let it run for about 4 hours last night and added another gal of bleach, since I didnt add any cya last year I also got one puck and some cya I added just a hand full in a sock and ordered a good test kit. The better 1/2 started brushing. This morning there is no ice but the water is cloudy with a green tint. ph is off the scale and cl is null added another gal of bleach. will prolly add acid and keep adding cl till the test kit gets here. if it gets cold I will just run the pump at this point, and next year for sure I will cover it. Accually came here to use pool math for the acid. :) also added enough water to use the skimmer, this winter we had got enough snow and rain to just reach the edge of the skimmer of course its raining today so I might just let the pump run all day. Had to backwash the filter this morning so it must be taking something out.

Scoop out any solid debris thats landed in there over winter. That's a never ending task if you don't cover. The longer you leave leaves in there the more chance that you can get tannin stains on the floor of the pool.

Maddie :flower:

hard to scope out what I cant see but I have been trying was hopping the water would clear so I could see, good news is the cl is pretty stable. At least from this old test kit, and havnt found any dead animals yet.
Happy Spring maddie I see you have a automatic cover is that a saftey cover by chance?

Theoretically you can walk on them, but we don't. Why add to the risk of tears or some damage unnecessarily?
We do open it every few days during the winter (keep in mind it's Georgia winter) to let the water breath and to enjoy the view.
It most definitely is a super safety cover!

Theoretically you can walk on them, but we don't. Why add to the risk of tears or some damage unnecessarily?
We do open it every few days during the winter (keep in mind it's Georgia winter) to let the water breath and to enjoy the view.
It most definitely is a super safety cover!

Are you getting the non stop rain in your area, I bought a SWG and can't install it because it won't stop raining :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
lol they drove a tractor and a harley on it and the video of the kid jumping on it, I agree why risk a tear or worse. Wow the hard slat ones prolly just a pipe dream anyway :) I would have to sneak that one into the budget. surprised no one has done a homebrew version. good news I can see the bottom shalow end of the pool tried to vac the bottom of the deep end there is leaves. So I guess today its leaf rake time.. suppose to be 60 today. with this virus scare going on surprised pool bleach isnt hard to find. lol there was no reg bleach yesterday. bet the price goes up.. may have to just get a swcg.

with this virus scare going on surprised pool bleach isnt hard to find. lol there was no reg bleach yesterday. bet the price goes up..

Shhhhhhh!! Don't give'em ideas...... lets hope they (whomever "they" is?) don't discover liquid chlorine in the pool section while seeking disinfectants for Corona. :laughblue:

lol prolly gonna happen 30 dollar bleach, next people are gonna steal everyones swgs to make there own....
"THE END IS COMING"
lets all buy toilet paper...
O by the way pool is almost clear can see the leaf rake almost at the bottom of the deep end so. will just keep scooping brushing and running the filter, boy already wants to swim in i, he was helping clean it yesterday and learned how to test the water will show him the pool app after school and let him play with getting it under control lol

Last edited:
Reactions: YippeeSkippy
lol prolly gonna happen 30 dollar bleach, next people are gonna steal everyones swgs to make there own....
"THE END IS COMING"
lets all buy toilet paper...
O by the way pool is almost clear can see the leaf rake almost at the bottom of the deep end so. will just keep scooping brushing and running the filter, boy already wants to swim in i, he was helping clean it yesterday and learned how to test the water will show him the pool app after school and let him play with getting it under control lol

I don't get TP either..Paper shortage coming?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.