What's your current pool temp?

I'm in the same boat with shortbus! :wink:

Got hit with a cold spell here. Pool is holding right around 72 degrees for the last 2 weeks despite highs in the 50's for many of those days. Thank you solar cover.

But we still haven't gotten FC down from shock level after treating the opening algae. With the (blue transparent/black opaque) solar cover on, the FC is still around 18 and only goes down .5 every couple days.

Hopefully next week will be warm and FC level will be swimable.

Well my "pool" has been a hot tub in the last week on certain days. Friday of last week the pool got to 94......... :party: I backwashed, replaced a few gallons and left the cover off overnight to cool it down.

We were hotter than Phoenix on Saturday at 112, but the pool was down to 86-87 as of yesterday evening. The cover must remain on with the wind a steady 25 though...so we'll warm back up this week again. If this keeps up, I may have to get an ice truck to show up. :lol:

Brushpup said:
The cover must remain on with the wind a steady 25 though...so we'll warm back up this week again.
Is this so you can prevent evaporation or it is to prevent things getting blown into the pool?

If your cover was white/reflective and somewhat insulating, then having it on during the day should not increase the temperature of the water by very much. Then taking it off at night would help cool off the pool.

Pool temp's 85.
When it gets higher (it got up to 93 when we were out of town for a few days), I simply leave the cover off and that lowers the temperature a few degrees per 24 hours of cover off.
I left the cover off for a week or so just to see how low the temperature would get. Low to mid 70s with no cover; that matched my neighbor's pool temperature until he installed a solar heater.

chem geek said:
Brushpup said:
The cover must remain on with the wind a steady 25 though...so we'll warm back up this week again.
Is this so you can prevent evaporation or it is to prevent things getting blown into the pool?

If your cover was white/reflective and somewhat insulating, then having it on during the day should not increase the temperature of the water by very much. Then taking it off at night would help cool off the pool.

Well CG it is transparent blue and meant only to be a debris cover. It saves a TON of skimming and vaccuming as the pool sits under two large fruitless Mulberry trees. Coupled with the wind and sand blowing, we can have a perfect mess in no time. Although it isnt designed too, it does have the "Solar" effect to be sure. On the right day, the top few inches of water will reach 100 in certain areas if the pump isn't on. Sometimes we need this effect as the pool won't warm enough to the wife's satisfaction in the shade we have. It also helps early in the year and after a good rain etc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Brushpup, Do you live in West, Texas (the town); or are you in West Texas (region)? If in West, TX it seems like the wind has calmed down from what it was in June.

My pool was at 92, I've run the scuffers the last few nights and it has dropped to 88.

88-90 degrees here in balmy Montana. ;-> My 8 solar water heater panels are working overtime, and quite well, which makes me happy. The over night lows have been in the low 60's, day time highs in the high 80's to 90, so I feel like that's pretty good. My pool is 15x30 sunken (not buried) AGP that I wrapped the sides in bubble wrap type insulation (on the inside of the liner), and I use a pool cover every night religiously.

<pout>

Roughly 65 degrees or less. :rant:

Kid broke the thermometer in the pool a few days ago. Smelled awful and the glass apparently shattered into tiny harmless roundish pieces I could hardly see in the vac bag. I assume that is by design.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.