What's your current pool temp?

Our humidity dropped to the point where the heat index was lower than the actual temperature, which is a rarity during north Texas summers. That meant the chiller was operating at peak efficiency. Water temp never reached 80° yesterday with air temp near 100°. A little chilly but very refreshing!

This is fun. We peaked at 78 yesterday, came out at 7am this morning and the drop off was only 3 degrees - 75. Weathers exceptional today so hoping it hits 80…solar panel/cover combo working better than expected.

@jonahex2099 I was video chatting with my grandson this morning, who is in Issaquah. He said it was going to be hot there today, which means in the 80s. 🙂 We visited last week and I got to go paragliding from Poo Poo Point. It was gorgeous!

@jonahex2099 I was video chatting with my grandson this morning, who is in Issaquah. He said it was going to be hot there today, which means in the 80s. 🙂 We visited last week and I got to go paragliding from Poo Poo Point. It was gorgeous!
I lived in Issaquah for about eight years! Small world. I used to see people paragliding all the time….popular spot. :) And yeah our weather for the next ten days or so is fantastic so hoping the pool gets up to a decent temp during this stretch. :).

105.4 outside, 100.2 inside, 83 in the pool...aaaahhhhevaporation!!! losing 3/4 inch per day if I leave cover off. cover on causes gain of temp to unpleasant bathtub temps. I prefer cool refreshing swim during day to comfy dips at night.
I think there may be a niche market for a solar cover that does not trap heat, only stops evaporation 🤔

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Are you synchronized swimming? LOL
:D That was me going YAY I can swim in my pool now!

And water hit 85 today....we have a run of good weather coming - I may have to bypass the solar panel....and it's *June* .....in Seattle. Saturday we're supposed to be around 97 in my general area....Gonna be a hot summer....

:D That was me going YAY I can swim in my pool now!

And water hit 85 today....we have a run of good weather coming - I may have to bypass the solar panel....and it's *June* .....in Seattle. Saturday we're supposed to be around 97 in my general area....Gonna be a hot summer....
I hope your heat finds its way east. We had a nice hot stretch where my pool got up to a for-me-record of 90. The weather has cooled the past week and we’ve been losing heat; water is down to 79 today.

Although I have to say, seeing some of the water temps from individuals much further south than me, I’m quite impressed with what I’ve been able to maintain with just a solar cover and a small solar panel. (75 sq ft, which is less than 20% of my pool surface area).

Reactions: jonahex2099
I hope your heat finds its way east. We had a nice hot stretch where my pool got up to a for-me-record of 90. The weather has cooled the past week and we’ve been losing heat; water is down to 79 today.

Although I have to say, seeing some of the water temps from individuals much further south than me, I’m quite impressed with what I’ve been able to maintain with just a solar cover and a small solar panel. (75 sq ft, which is less than 20% of my pool surface area).

If I could send it your way I would! That seems like a lot of pool for that panel.... :) I have the same one (Solar Bear) and mine only gets solid sun about 9 hours a day but it seems to be adequate for my 12x24x52 Intex (8500'ish gallons), and I'm generally running the pump that entire stretch (with the SWG cycle running 4 hours in there). We keep the solar cover on unless we're actively in the pool too. For what we have it all works quite well. I'm thinking about upgrading the pump/filter and the SWG next season, but for this year we're set and it's working way better than I anticipated....

Reactions: magiteck
If I could send it your way I would! That seems like a lot of pool for that panel.... :) I have the same one (Solar Bear) and mine only gets solid sun about 9 hours a day but it seems to be adequate for my 12x24x52 Intex (8500'ish gallons), and I'm generally running the pump that entire stretch (with the SWG cycle running 4 hours in there). We keep the solar cover on unless we're actively in the pool too. For what we have it all works quite well. I'm thinking about upgrading the pump/filter and the SWG next season, but for this year we're set and it's working way better than I anticipated....
My pool gets full sun from dawn until about 6pm (when my house blocks it on it’s way down). So I run my pump on low speed from 9a-6p, basically I want water going through the panels whenever the sun is out.

I have to remember to go manually divert from the panels when it’s real cloudy which is a pain; maybe some day I’ll break down and add solar automation. But I’ve been pleasantly surprised with the temps. The small panel is the only change from last year.

The real test I suppose will be whether it extends our season further into September at all. That’s where I fear the small panel just won’t be able to do much. But in terms of making the water more comfortable during the swim season it’s been great.

Reactions: jonahex2099
My pool gets full sun from dawn until about 6pm (when my house blocks it on it’s way down). So I run my pump on low speed from 9a-6p, basically I want water going through the panels whenever the sun is out.

I have to remember to go manually divert from the panels when it’s real cloudy which is a pain; maybe some day I’ll break down and add solar automation. But I’ve been pleasantly surprised with the temps. The small panel is the only change from last year.

The real test I suppose will be whether it extends our season further into September at all. That’s where I fear the small panel just won’t be able to do much. But in terms of making the water more comfortable during the swim season it’s been great.

I pretty much hang it up after Labor Day here - PacNW weather just gets too erratic to hope to swim into September, so I'm generally closing up around the 2nd week of. My closing is now complicated by the solar panel - I have no idea how/where I'm going to store the thing.... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

My wife was somewhat skeptical about the panel, but it was our only option since we have 15/20" pipelines running 6' under that section of our yard - so no electrical or gas heat - we were lucky they let us put the pool up with the easements. But it's been working extremely well and she's now convinced.

Thanks for the tip on closing the valve on cloudy/rainy days btw - I didn't even think of that and it makes complete sense.

Reactions: magiteck
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.