What is a good price for bleach?

Jul 29, 2011
Las Vegas, Nevada
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We just built a new pool and I need to buy more chlorine soon and thought I would start using bleach. For those of you who laundry bleach, what is a good price per ounce? I'd like to stock up when it's on sale but I'm not sure what constitutes a good price.

You will find almost no laundry bleach is pure chlorine without any additives. And laundry bleach is usually 4%-6% chlorine.

Better to get 10%-12% pool chlorinating liquid at Walmart or HD.

Reactions: AJ1776
We buy Clorox in multi-jug-packs at Costco. Seems to be reasonable. We also sometimes buy a jug or 2 of liquid chlorine at the pool store but it's mostly Clorox for our pool. I haven' seen any 'pool-concentrated' liquid chlorine at any Lowes/HD in Vegas, I've only seen the lower % stuff & when I did the math last year it was more expensive than just using Clorox. YMMV

Reactions: civicturbo
We buy Clorox in multi-jug-packs at Costco. Seems to be reasonable. We also sometimes buy a jug or 2 of liquid chlorine at the pool store but it's mostly Clorox for our pool. I haven' seen any 'pool-concentrated' liquid chlorine at any Lowes/HD in Vegas, I've only seen the lower % stuff & when I did the math last year it was more expensive than just using Clorox. YMMV

Check the label and see if the Clorox bleach says Cloromax Technology on the label. If so it contains polymers which will cause foaming in the pool. We don't recommend it be used in pools.

Reactions: AJ1776
Clorox does not reveal exactly what is in their proprietary formulas. You are free to toss unknown chemicals in your pool. We recommend against it.

Reactions: proavia
Also, It’s completely unique how many bottles start to make a problem. Is it 2 .... 5.... 22 ??? You won’t know until you know and it’s too late. It’s always best not to set yourself up for a problem in the first place.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I posted in another thread that 2 of the 3 pallets they had were date coded back in mid 2018.
Have to check the dates. I offered our Home Depot here 50cents a box for six month old stuff. They gave me a blank stare. They have no idea it degrades.

Reactions: AJ1776 and Rich807
I haven’t seen laundry bleach cheaper than pool chlorine here in the Midwest since I put my pool up last year. Cheapest bleach around here is $2.99/121 oz of 8.25%. Store brand at Farm and Fleet. That’s $0.30 per ounce of chlorine.

In the summer I get 12.5% at Menard’s for $3.99/gal, or $0.249 per ounce of chlorine.

Yes I’m aware neither of these stores is in Nevada, but listing prices as reference.

If you want to do your own comparing with locals prices the PoolMath app has a handy calculator that spits out the price per ounce of chlorine (used to give my above figures) which gets rid of the headache of trying to compare different sized bottles of different concentrations at different prices.

Reactions: Rich807
I just bought a 3 pack at HD for $14.70 something with tax. The date was mid Dec 2020. (Which I could tell at a GLANCE !!!! 20350. Take THAT you stupid CYA test !!!!!). I needed it and i was already there for something else so I didn’t care it was on the pricey side.

• Haha
Reactions: BenB
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.