Where to Buy Liquid Chlorine
Sodium Hypochlorite is commonly called liquid chlorine or bleach. Most household bleach that you will find in stores in 6% chlorine. Pool chlorinating liquids may be 10% or 12.5% chlorine.
If you buy household bleach, you want pure liquid chlorine with no additives. Additives such as fragrances, thickeners (splashless), or surfactants (outdoor bleach) may cause foaming. Bleach with fabric protectors (chloromax technology) may also cause foaming.
Most Clorox bleach today says it had Cloromax Technology. They are polymers that create foaming and are not suitable for pools. Clorox Germicidal Bleach did not have additives but the December 2019 label on their website show now shows Cloromax Technology. So look carefully at the label and ingredients on any Clorox bleach products you intend to use in your pool.
Don’t buy liquid chlorine if its stored outside in the garden center. The heat and sun weakens the chlorine.
Check your local pool stores for 10% or 12% “liquid shock” or “chlorinating liquid”. They are usually not the least cost but can be available and convenient.
Use their websites to check for availability in stores around you:
- Home Depot - HDX 128oz Chlorinating Liquid 3 Pack or HDX 121 oz. Germicidal Bleach which will likely be 8.25% and located near the cleaning products
- Wal-Mart - Pool Essentials Chlorinating Liquid 2 Pack
- Lowes - Kem-Tek
- Ace Hardware - should have 10% bleach
- Ollies Bargain Outlet
- Rural King
- Fleet Farm - Swim Shock Liquid Pool Chlorinator - 4 Pk
- check any of your local stores to see who carries liquid chlorine-janitorial services might offer liquid chlorine if you have your own containers