What are the differences between Pentair SuperFlo VS (342001) and Pentair SuperFlo VST (342002) pumps?

I think they are the same pump functionally. The VST is Pentair's "Trade Grade" dealer brand.

Why are you looking at a Superflo pump isntead of an IntelliFlo pump?

Thanks for the information. I currently have Hayward AquaPlus controller, and based on my TFP posts reviewing, it seems that Pentair SuperFlo VS (or VST) pump will be much easier to perform an interface connection than the Pentair IntelliFlo pump.

My Hayward "Goldline" AquaPlus controller has the following software: 1) Main Software revision 4.20; and 2) Display Software revision 3.12. The pool system has been in operation since October 2011. May I have your suggestions on the Hayward variable speed pump for my pool system. Thanks for your responses.

You doing a DIY install or having a pool company install it?

Hayward Tristar VS pump...

W3SP3202VSP for DIY with standard warranty

SP32900VSP for pool builder install with extended warranty.

You can get a 1.85 hp model or a 2.7 hp model.

The 1.85 hp model is good for lower flow applications. For higher flow applications, the 2.7 hp is preferable.

Even if the 1.85 hp model could meet the flow requirements at full speed, I recommend the 2.7 hp model if you would ever need to run the 1.85 hp model at more than 2,700 rpm due to the noise.

There are multiple models in both sizes. You will need to check the individual details to see what works best for you.

In my opinion, manufacturers make choosing a product unnecessarily complicated and confusing when they create too many models that are not really different.

Based on your second story solar system, I would probably go with the 2.7 hp model to reduce the noise because the 1.85 hp model would need to run at higher speeds and generate more noise.

Do you have any trouble balancing the flow between the lower and upper panels?

I would think that the lower panels would get most of the flow unless you used a valve to adjust the flow to make it even.

It looks like Hayward has rebates available. Many utilities also have rebates available for switching to a variable speed pump. So, check for any available rebates.

Last edited:
Thanks for your information, JamesW.

Q. You doing a DIY install or having a pool company install it? I am a DIY person, but I am gathering costs from different pool companies for comparisons.

Q. Do you have any trouble balancing the flow between the lower and upper panels? Yes, my current 2-speed pump has difficulties of pumping the water to the second story solar pool panels at lower speed (1750 rpm). When the pump is running at full speed (3450 rpm), there is no water flowing issue at all; however, monthly electric bill will be much higher. Based on my rough calculations, if the lower speed can be set at ~2,200 rpm, the water flowing issue will disappear.

H,

Not exactly an answer to your question but here's a data point for you. I have a Jandy 2 speed pump that I converted to a variable speed by changing the motor to a V-Green VS motor. On low speed my 2-speed pump could barely reach the roof and it was only a trickle. The new motor 1.65 hp which is less than the smaller pump/motor combination that James suggested earlier and I have no problem at all running 2850 rpm to the roof for max speed and flow rate is improved from high speed on the old 2-speed pump because I also increased the impeller size. Yours will be optimized better than mine. So your pump should perform better than mine.

I hope this helps

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was wondering about these two pump models too. Based on the description on Pentairs site, the VST has a "Totally Enclosed Fan Cooled motor", "can adapt to 115V to 230V and 50hz or 60hz power with no special wiring or switching", and "New RS-485 connectivity for improved interface with automation systems and IoT devices to allow more flexibility". Both seem to only have 3 speed settings.

Wonder if that RS-485 connection means I can control the pump with my Hayward ProLogic panel?

342002 VST SuperFlo® VST Pool Pump
342001 VS SuperFlo® VS Variable Speed Pump

External Control via RS-485
The following instructions only apply to SuperFlo® VST and SuperMax® VS pumps manufactured after 10/15/20. For all other pumps, refer to External Control via Digital Inputs on page 6.
These pumps can be controlled from certain Pentair control systems, via an RS-485 signal, when paired with the RS-485 Automation Wiring Kit (P/N 356324Z - Black).
Note: IntelliConnect® Control and Monitoring Systems can NOT externally control this pump via RS-485. The pump will need to be connected via digital inputs. Refer to External Control via Digital Inputs on page 6.
Note: If the pump is manually stopped using the Start/Stop button, the pump will not run until the Start/Stop button is pressed. If the Start/Stop
LED is illuminated, the pump is active and can be controlled externally.
Only the GREEN and YELLOW conductors will be used to wire the pump for external control via RS-485. See Figure 4.

Pumps manufactured after 10/15/20 can be controlled by Pentair automation.

Other manufacturer's automation will probably not communicate with the pump.

You can use relay control, but you will only be able to have two speeds that the pump will recognize as a pump.

Thanks James, good info! Part of me likes de-coupling my pump control from the Prologic panel. Part of me thinks that may be a mistake. Just don't know if Hayward pumps are built as well (and are as quiet) as the Pentair pumps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.