Weird sediment, just reopened pool

Macboy

Bronze Supporter
May 18, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
I've never seen this before so hoping someone has and can help me pinpoint the source.

I've just reopened our little AGP (just under a week now). When the ice melted off and I started scooping the leaves etc off the bottom I noticed I was scooping up nets full of this white sediment. I assume it was salt that came out of solution when the water froze and the concentrations went through the roof. I had drained the pool about 2/5ths (just enough to clear the fittings) and if I had to put money on it I'd say it froze pretty much solid this winter. When I topped up the pool and checked the salt I had to add 28lbs to bring it up to the right levels so I'm guessing it was salt on the bottom? I was too chicken to taste it......

But here's the thing. I've got a NEW sediment. There's a fine black powder gathering around the seams and wrinkles. I've inch by inch vacuumed and scrubbed the pool twice now and it keeps coming back.

When I closed the pool last fall I gave the sand filter a good long rinse and then used the filter/pump to drain down to the bottom of the skimmer so it was well, well flushed I'm sure. I drained it as well as I could before storing it and assume I did a pretty good job at that because I was able to lift the thing up the one step out of the garage. It was holy heavy still but not sand-and-water heavy. There was a little bit of dribbling out the drain as it moved around but not a load.

I don't know if the pics will help or not but here they are. Tomorrow I'll hop in and gather some up so I can determine if it's fine sand or mushy dirt. I feel like it can't be sand based on the way it ghosts into the vac hose but I could be wrong. Sand filter is now on it's third season - original sand.

Attachments

• IMG_1442.JPG
    IMG_1442.JPG
    434.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1443.JPG
    IMG_1443.JPG
    321.2 KB · Views: 29
I suspect the white sediment was calcium based. Salt would be in solution. I believe saturation point would be around 350000 ppm. I doubt yours got that high.

The sediment in the picture looks like dead algae. If it poofs away when you brush it, that is what it is.

Is there a reason it keeps coming back and a way to get rid of it? I did SLAM the pool a couple weeks before closing last season. Does that have anything to do with it? I didn't have anything like this when we opened it in 2020.

So I didn't make it into the pool yesterday (cold spring rains set in) but I'll make sure to get in there today despite the rain.

I peeked in just now though and all seems status quo - no more, no less than the photos from Thursday evening. If it were algae wouldn't it continue to accumlate?

Long story - ear issues after my last head in the water clean. All good now though and a new to me ear maintenance routine :)

So tonight I gathered a sample. I'm letting it settle out in the container I put it in and will report tomorrow night with whether it was pink or green or purple and gritty or slimy. I haven't SLAM'd yet (been a busy week) but will. I actually received my new electrodes yesterday so need to go back to my other thread and have a look at Mark's comment about CSI.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I get stuff like that every so often. I am not sure if it is pollen, dead algae, dust, calcium, or space alien reside. What I do know is that it is dead (or non-organic) because I pass an OCLT, I also know that if I vacuum it up, the next day it is back, in whatever indentations or wrinkles are in the bottom of my pool. It also is concentrated far from my return jet, where it has had time to drop out of the water flow.

The solution for me is a slime bag. When I get those deposits, I attach a slime back, vacuum, and leave the bag on for +/- 24. That takes care of the issue. It may happen to me once or twice a summer, and vacuuming with slime bag takes care of the problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.