Fine sediment continually returns after thorough vacuums

glyngarrett

Jun 4, 2020
Somerset, TX
hello. I am very uncertain about the sand in my filter pump. My water is very clear, my chemicals are all in ideal range. I have a Bestway 21' above ground pool. I am having a very tough time keeping what seems to be dead algae from appearing again and again. I have vacuumed to waste and the pool looks immaculate but within 12 hours I seem to have the same sediment on the bottom though not in the amount I had. When I vacuum through the filter it also looks immaculate when I am done but after a bit I see the same sediment reappearing. Is this a sign of compromised sand? I do not see any reentry of this sediment (orangish brown) when I am vacuuming on either setting through the jet. I have held a microfiber bag in front of jet (30 mins) to see if it caught any inkling of this sediment and nothing. I am at a loss why this sediment continues to reappear and compromised sand is one thing as a 2nd year pool owner, I am not sure how to identify. As a note, my psi gauge rarely moves from 5 when pump is running which is the normal level for my pump according to specs of model no. I do notice, however, that my jet loses pressure despite no change in the psi reading.

Welcome @glyngarrett
Do you have a full drops test kit? That would be the only way to be sure of your pool's chemical balance.
The pressure gauge on your filter might be bad... Have you removed the multiport valve to look at the sand in your filter? It might need to be deep cleaned

Can you add your pool and equipment details to your account signature please? Thanks!

The most common reason for the symptoms you describe is a chemistry issue and has nothing to do with your filter. You have algae in your pool and some of it falls to the floor each evening but not all of it.

Can you post a full set of test results? We'll help you get your pool clear.

Same issue here- I have battled this for two years- believe, I have done it all- vac to waste using pump and vacuumed just using gravity and the stuff is accumulating within hours. I have tried EVERYTHING! Something is precipitating out of the water. My plan now is to use a sequestering agent when I refill "before " chlorinating. My hope is that it is either iron or calcium. I don't have staining so I suspect it is not iron. My water requires little balancing so I only need acid and chlorine and I only use liquid. I'll know next week if the sequestering agent was the solution. Until then you are on your own. And no it is not sand or bad sand- been there replaced it no change and yes I backwashed the sand a long time and did the rinse too.

I used to be in the industry but not anymore. I never saw this in any pool over a period of 6 years and 100's and 100's of pools. I truely thought I understood pretty much everything but this one has tested me to no end- I kinda like the challenge but I kinda don't. BTW- I sent many many people to this site while I was working in the industry- There is no better resource anywhere.

The most common reason for the symptoms you describe is a chemistry issue and has nothing to do with your filter. You have algae in your pool and some of it falls to the floor each evening but not all of it.

Can you post a full set of test results? We'll help you get your pool clear.
Alk 110, pH 7..4, Cal 220, CYA 45-50 range (high end of ideal): K-2006 test kit (Taylor) with Taylor FC,TC,CC test kit

There is no visible algae. I have literally scrubbed the liner seam with a toothbrush. I have scrubbed the walls and ladder both thoroughly. I feel very confident about the chemistry. We ought the pump used from a close friend so I am a bit weary on the status of the sand. Is there a way to tell if it is compromised.

Thanks

Alk 110, pH 7..4, Cal 220, CYA 45-50 range (high end of ideal): K-2006 test kit (Taylor) with Taylor FC,TC,CC test kit

There is no visible algae. I have literally scrubbed the liner seam with a toothbrush. I have scrubbed the walls and ladder both thoroughly. I feel very confident about the chemistry. We ought the pump used from a close friend so I am a bit weary on the status of the sand. Is there a way to tell if it is compromised.

Thanks
If you can share a pic of the sand filter, someone here can help you get access to the sand to check it out and see if it's clean or channeled, etc
Do you know what chem's they used in their pool and/or the condition of the pool? (it could be a source of "hidden" algae)

If you can share a pic of the sand filter, someone here can help you get access to the sand to check it out and see if it's clean or channeled, etc
Do you know what chem's they used in their pool and/or the condition of the pool? (it could be a source of "hidden" algae)
This is the pump. We have a 21 ft. pool. Keep approx 6-6.5k gallons of water in it.

I do my own chemicals. I seem to be doing okay as all my balances are nice. I use either Clorox or HTH products. Thanks for following and your patience with me.

Attachments

• pump.jpg
    pump.jpg
    551.3 KB · Views: 2
No worries!
I meant did you look inside the sand filter from your friends and verify it was clean and ready to use? :)

It looks like you should be able to access the inside with the pump off (unplugged is good if possible), use care to not move the laterals inside and verify the sand is loose and clean

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm not trying to hijack this thread but we "seem" to have extremely similar symptoms.

Between myself and the original poster I really hope one of us gets to the bottom of this sediment issue. I should know a lot more by Sunday/Monday time frame. My pool is almost full. I'll give it a good vac and make sure it stays clean before I begin to introduce any chems which will be tomorrow. I'll keep the heater off to retard any any algae from getting started too quickly. Water temp is 59-60 now.

My bet is on algae, too. Battled these same symptoms, but with a DE filter (thought I had a DE leak), all last season. Cleaning out a DE filter a half dozen times per season is no fun.

Then I found this site, realized that what I was seeing was dead algae (always after a shock) and started a SLAM.

There is no sign of "fine sediment" in my pool now and the filter is running like a champ.

Some background first to try to save some face. This Is my second Intex pool the first one I had five years this when I bought three years ago the previous one liner faded out so quickly even though I kept the Chlorine in line so this one I just wanted to keep the water clear and try to keep the liner looking is nice for as long as possible.

So when I bought this new pool I kept the chlorine at 4-5 with dips to 2 occasionally. This did keep my pool clear but as pointed out in a earlier post, algae was present but not at all visible. I keep my cya about 50 so that describes the issue. I had algae but not visible to my eyes.

I bumped up the chlorine to 15-6 the last 3 days and with brushing and vacuuming- no more sediment(dead algae).

lesson- just because the pool is clear doesn’t mean all is well.

kudos to TFP- sometimes we need to be reminded of what we thought we already knew.

Reactions: MITBeta
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.