Weir”d” doors

Aug 19, 2018
Deer Park/NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I’ve read on here how these weir doors are so important but my pool doesn’t have them. We bought this house 2 years ago and there weren’t any weir doors on the in-wall skimmers. Should all pools have them or do some not need them?

Attachments

• 8C60B868-8798-4EE6-9C77-6BE026EA9C52.jpeg
    8C60B868-8798-4EE6-9C77-6BE026EA9C52.jpeg
    694.9 KB · Views: 9
Yes, some type. There are a few weird ones that have a floating basket ring that works as a weir, so look inside.
I def don’t think I have a floating basket ring. There are no holes or slots on the sides of the skimmer for a weir door to be installed so how does that work? I do have the SkimDoctor skimmer baskets which suck the water in much faster.

With the skim doctor the water comes in faster inside the skimmer but it doesn't enter the skimmer from the pool at the same speed, and I don't see how it keeps stuff from floating back out when the pump is off.

There are universal spring-loaded weirs available. Check Inyo pools

A weir doors makes it appear that the water in the skimmer is lower than the water in the pool. This makes the surface water flow quickly into the skimmer, taking all the junk with it. Without a weir door, the skimmer tends to pull from the bottom of the skimmer and the surface water is somewhat stagnant. A skimmer with a weir door works about twice as well as a skimmer without a weir door.

The fact that you are using a "SkimDoctor" just proves my point...

Thanks,

Jim R.

ok that makes sense. That must be why I always feel like debris doesn’t make it to my skimmers especially when it gets in the pool on the shallow end. Even though the pool is 36’ long debris should make it all the way across to the skimmers right? While I have you guys...any idea what’s up with this sandish looking gunk that is getting bunched up in my skimmer socks? I have a lot of “dust” floating on the top of the pool that I’m thinking might be pollen. Would pollen end up gunking up and looking like sand? See picture. Thanks so much for your help!

Attachments

• BA673898-EE7D-4994-B261-3B1BB5D3D311.jpeg
    BA673898-EE7D-4994-B261-3B1BB5D3D311.jpeg
    267.1 KB · Views: 10
Yes. Pollen can make a real mess in a skimmer sock. But better there than in the filter. Socks are much easier to clean.

Yes! I totally agree. Taking apart the filter and cleaning the 4 cartridges is a real pain in the butt! So do you think that the weir doors will help circulate the surface water more and help with floating debris? I stuck my hand in deeper in to my skimmer wall and I do feel holes where the weir doors should go (I was looking at the outside skimmer wall and didn’t realize they go deeper in). I also found a model number for my skimmer so I went ahead and ordered the 2 doors. Hoping that helps because I can’t stand the Dang debris floating and when it doesn’t make it to the skimmer then it falls to the bottom and I have to vacuum more. It drives me crazy!

Yes! I totally agree. Taking apart the filter and cleaning the 4 cartridges is a real pain in the butt! So do you think that the weir doors will help circulate the surface water more and help with floating debris? I stuck my hand in deeper in to my skimmer wall and I do feel holes where the weir doors should go (I was looking at the outside skimmer wall and didn’t realize they go deeper in). I also found a model number for my skimmer so I went ahead and ordered the 2 doors. Hoping that helps because I can’t stand the Dang debris floating and when it doesn’t make it to the skimmer then it falls to the bottom and I have to vacuum more. It drives me crazy!
Think it through. Water seeks its own level.

As the pump sucks water out of the skimmer well, pool water flows into the skimmer well through the throat to maintain the level. So far, so good?

If the cross section area of the skimmer throat is 3"X12", that's .25 sq ft. Let's say the skimmer is pulling a measly 100 gallons per minute. That's 13 cubic feet per minute. 13 cubic feet divided by ,25 square feet = 52 linear feet. That means the flow coming through the skimmer throat will have a velocity of 52 ft/minute to maintain the water level. Now reduce that opening to 1/2"X 12". That's 1/6 the area so to maintain the water level that water is moving six times as fast or 312 feet per minute. That's a pretty good clip - 3.5 miles per hour; enough to overcome slight breezes and currents and pull water into the opening. The weir is critical. The skimmer weir limits the flow coming in to maybe the top 1/2" of water. Less water above the weir means faster current. More water above the weir means sluggish flow. You've seen that with the flow doctor. Restrict the area and the velocity goes up. The problem with the flow doctor is it makes a narrow throat not a shallow one. You're interested in only the very top fraction of an inch for skimming.

Think it through. Water seeks its own level.

As the pump sucks water out of the skimmer well, pool water flows into the skimmer well through the throat to maintain the level. So far, so good?

If the cross section area of the skimmer throat is 3"X12", that's .25 sq ft. Let's say the skimmer is pulling a measly 100 gallons per minute. That's 13 cubic feet per minute. 13 cubic feet divided by ,25 square feet = 52 linear feet. That means the flow coming through the skimmer throat will have a velocity of 52 ft/minute to maintain the water level. Now reduce that opening to 1/2"X 12". That's 1/6 the area so to maintain the water level that water is moving six times as fast or 312 feet per minute. That's a pretty good clip - 3.5 miles per hour; enough to overcome slight breezes and currents and pull water into the opening. The weir is critical. The skimmer weir limits the flow coming in to maybe the top 1/2" of water. Less water above the weir means faster current. More water above the weir means sluggish flow. You've seen that with the flow doctor. Restrict the area and the velocity goes up. The problem with the flow doctor is it makes a narrow throat not a shallow one. You're interested in only the very top fraction of an inch for skimming.

Wow! Thanks so much for the info! I can’t wait to get these doors on my skimmers!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.