Water test shows bromine for my Clorine salt water (SWG) pool

Sep 1, 2014
Italy
Been having some issues trying to get my pool open. Had been using an old pack of test strips and realised they were very out of date resulting in I think me adding too much stabiliser to the pool, so ordered some more tests (different brand), replaced half the water and this test contains a Clorine and bromine indicator (I never tested for bromine before). I was not expecting to see any bromine indicated as I use a SWG but the test came back with both Clorine and Bromine, Bromine quite high (10-20ppm), Clorine at normal levels of about (3ppm). Is this just the tester reading chlorine as bromine or do i really have bromine levels that high? Where could the bromine have come from otherwise?

Hey Sam !!! Every pool/spa is one or the other. You can't have both but the test reads both. You're fine. :)

If you want to fix the pool, you need a proper test kit. Maybe you got this far without it, but now its time. You can't go to the pool store fpr testing either. You need to test a bunch of times while SLAM Process and they won't keep testing you when you keep blowing off their suggestions. Other times they simply will be closed and you'll be out of luck. Anywho, get a reliable test kit.

Test Kits Compared
ThenSLAM Process
And you'll beHow Clear is TFP Clear?
Once there, Pool Care Basics will keep it that way.

We'll help at every step.

Thanks, I kind of suspected it was reading Chlorine with the bromine test, I normally use AquaCheck strips which i have found to be pretty good (If you don't use a 5 YO pack that is) but tried a different brand this time, they seem the same but test a couple more things including bromine (which is what caused me a double take). I think my main issue is our water source is from a lake in the mountains and it must have a lot of organics and alghe which when I just replaced half the water turned it a green/brown mess.

So just to be clear, the fact it is showing a level for both tests is not that they are both there but that the bromine test also reacts to the chlorine (And maybe vise-versa)?

So just to be clear, the fact it is showing a level for both tests is not that they are both there but that the bromine test also reacts to the chlorine (And maybe vise-versa)?
Correct. You're 100% fine there.

But the strips won't give you the accuracy to fix the other issues.
I think my main issue is our water source is from a lake in the mountains and it must have a lot of organics and alghe which when I just replaced half the water turned it a green/brown mess
Why did you need to replace half the water in the first place ?

Why did you need to replace half the water in the first place ?
My old tests were showing no cyanic acid, I added 1KG to my 30sqm inground pool, which should have raised it to about 30ppm and I waited, CYA level was not increasing in the test, and the pool was not clearing even after a 25ppm shock of liquid bleach. SO I added another KG of cyanic acid, and then realised that the test was not working as I tested with another test and it was showing high CYA 100-200ppm SO I had f**ked myself basically. SO empty 60% water was the only option. New test strips showing CYA is at a good level and the pool is slowly clearing and changing colour now so I think chlorine is working better now the CYA is not off the chart.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.