Very new to pools...Need advice (build started 5/30/20)

chris8725

Apr 26, 2020
Burleson Texas
Hi Yall,

To preface I am a first time pool buyer in the DFW area and Im in the process of getting quotes..I've had 2 builders come by today, one leaving a hand written quote (this is the main builder in the area) and the other that needs to draw up a design and will have a quote ready Wednesday. My second builder was pushing hard for a mineral system vs a salt. Question...even though I think they both would end up comparable in price, I wanted to ask the experts, should i go mineral or salt....More questions to come

Welcome to the forum!
That is a no-brainer. Minerals are the scourge of pool owners. Install a properly sized SaltWater Chlorine Generator. Rated for at least 2X your pool volume.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Thank you,
I have been researching this site for the last week or two and had gathered a list of questions for the builders. One question didnt even think about was the mineral pool. It caught me off guard. He told me they build 2500+ pools a year (i assume they a nation wide) and maybe 3 get salt because they absolutely have to have it.

Reactions: chris8725
Thank you for the links...good info. Typical salesman i guess. Of course they asked me what i wanted as far as size. When the builders came by i just told them i wanted at very least 36x18, knowing i might have to budget for smaller. Was i correct on doing that?

Depends on your yard and your use. Is it for lap swimming, cannon balls, lounging, etc.

Large is good up to a point. Once you pass about 20K gallons, chemistry maintenance becomes more critical as dealing with algae or having to drain and refill can be costly.

Kind of a mixture of lounging and cannonballs. I have a just turned teenager and and wife with expections. She wants a tanning ledge and he and I want cannon balls. Lol

So I do know the 1st builder says he will build a 92ft perimeter at 540sq ft surface area pool. Depth will start at 4 and slope to 7 foot deep. With a tanning ledge in the shallow end. Have to wait on builder number 2 for numbers, but they don't dig deeper than 6ft. Also have bulder 3 and 4 coming Monday. I would like to leverage my knowledge on those 2 though.

One question didnt even think about was the mineral pool. It caught me off guard. He told me they build 2500+ pools a year

Chris,

That one statement alone would make me not trust a word he said.

Do not go with a mineral, UV, or OZone system..

I have three saltwater pools and would just as soon fill them in as not have them be saltwater. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: S S
Thanks Jim...
While he was here and selling me i was good up until he said mineral was the to go.

He was saying that salt sytems corrode anything metal and would need to be replaced sooner than mineral systems, especially the equipment and any metal furniture.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Salt water pools have no more corrosion of any pool related items than any other pool or non-pool area. The salinity in a SWCG pool is under 4000 ppm. That is 1/10th that of the ocean. Low pH is what corrodes pool related equipment.

The humidity in the air is what will corrode your pool furniture in the Dallas area. Quality products should last a long time.

Thanks MK,
Bulider number 2 also told me that a robot cleaner isnt worth it. From what I read on here, it is. Im not familiar with anything so i need to ask are robots without wires or with? He said it sucks having to go into the pool in the winter when it dies. I thought they had a direct connection

He said it sucks having to go into the pool in the winter when it dies. I thought they had a direct connection

Chris,

Another idiot.. Robots have cords, so there would be no reason to ever go in the pool... The robot runs off of low voltage so there is no problem with water and electricity.. I would not buy a robot through the PB.. Cheaper to just buy your own...

See this..

I have three saltwater pools.. one is 10 years old, one is 7 and one is 6.. I have seen zero corrosion from any of them..

That said.. If you take a cheap pool chair, it will rust in your front yard or near the pool.. The problem is not the salt water..

Their goal is to sell you what they get the best commissions on, and not what you want.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: ellsian

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.