Valve Actuator Install (w/ IntelliCenter)

ForlornLawnGnome

Jun 1, 2019
Durham, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Hey! I am interested in putting a valve actuator on the valve for my water fountain so I can remotely turn it on and off. I have the IntelliCenter and it is connected to 2 pumps (main/Polaris), the Heater (through the Gas heater control), and an Intellichlor60.

1) Will I be able to plug an actuator into the IntelliCenter without getting/installing another "personality"?
2) Any suggestions on actuators (Jandy Valve)? It just needs the two positions. The handle itself only moves 90 degrees, but I'm not sure if I need a 90 degree actuator or 180? I guess I really don't understand how the actuators work with the existing valve :D

Picture for what the pipe/valve look like (I know it says main drain, but the valves are the same and this was the easiest to get to for the picture)

PXL_20210412_181703801.MP.jpg

Hopefully this is enough information

You can. There is a great description in the Intellicenter Installation manual, Pages 18-20. If you have no other actuators, you would put the wiring into Valve A slot. Do NOT put it in the Return or Intake slot. Those are for systems with a Spa.

Jandy, Pentair, and Intermatic make valve actuators. All do the same thing.

In the actuator, you adjust a cam to tell it how far to move before hitting a limit switch.

Read Valve Actuators - Further Reading

The standard IntelliCenter comes with 2 user programable valve drivers.. You just need to plug your actuator into Valve A or B and then assign the actuator to the Circuit that you want to turn on the valve.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks!! I knew the IntelliCenter could do it, I was confused about if pumps counted in the total you could have attached, or exactly how many there were. Pool things all seem needlessly complicated :D. I'll check out the actuators thread

Luckily, the pool does not need more than its 2 pumps currently! Fingers crossed the single speed main pump keeps going, because we were told when we looked at the IntelliCenter install (before deciding we could do it ourselves) that we would have to replace both the pump and filter if we were going to upgrade the pump to a multi-speed one

Ummm -- that sounds very suspect
:ROFLMAO: Also all the pool people I called wanted to charge like, 4k-6k (above cost of device itself) to install the IntelliCenter (one wanted to upcharge because he had never done it before. Plus, they weren't going to do the electrical bits. I want to know what exactly they were going to do since they weren't going to do the electrical.... Hang the box on the wall???

I know it's totally off topic, but do you recommend replacing a (working as far as I can tell) pump with a VS pump?

I know it's totally off topic, but do you recommend replacing a (working as far as I can tell) pump with a VS pump?
Unless your electricity cost is California high, no. But when this SS motor fails you will have to change to a VS motor/pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you again! I'm slowly learning all of the pool things. The equipment seems needlessly complicated (I say this as someone who teaches High schoolers to build robots). Now I just need to figure out enough so I feel comfortable opening/closing the pool myself and not causing damage :ROFLMAO: . T

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.