Update on converting to a SWG and lessons learned

markayash

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Mar 21, 2016
Atlanta Ga
First lesson was don't push the Min level of FC to close..Its like a buffer, a heavy rain and water will turn cloudy..I was at 3 and spotted a few algae spots and bumped to 6 or 7

Second if you have a algae bloom your water it can be crystal clear but will eat all your chlorine. I did a Vit C treatment ( had a bad stain around the steps ) and even though I didn't leave it at zero long stuff started growing.
CL level started dropping from 4 to 0 with the SWG at 75% and I was cussing thinking it was broke..Did a SLAM and now I am st 25% and Free CL is at 7..My water was crystal clear the whole time
Those having issues with your SWG not keeping up listen to the experts here about an over night test..

Third is follow the CYA guide of 70 to 80..Like many here I had issues with CYA before and resisted adding it ( like stick your finger in the fan again ) . But once I did my FC actually went up

Those who are debating, switch..It's not cheap but makes pool life so much easier.

Last edited:
First lesson was don't push the Min level of FC to close..Its like a buffer, a heavy rain and water will turn cloudy..I was at 3 and spotted a few algae spots and bumped to 6 or 7

Similar to don't fly too close to the sun. Minimum and recommended levels are there for a reason.

Wish I saw this yesterday while I was pulling out my hair trying to figure out what was wrong with my SWG. Turns out I had the crystal clear water and finally ended up performing a OCLT which showed that I was losing chlorine. I too dabbled too close to the minimum for too long.

Reactions: markayash
Wish I saw this yesterday while I was pulling out my hair trying to figure out what was wrong with my SWG. Turns out I had the crystal clear water and finally ended up performing a OCLT which showed that I was losing chlorine. I too dabbled too close to the minimum for too long.

I am still learning also, I am learning raising CYA helps like they recommend. Just hard to add a chemical back that causes us so much headaches :)

I always keep a few gallons of bleach on hand in case I need a quick FC increase. My pool gets tons of use by the neighborhood kids and on a hot day I can go through the chlorine. After a big swim day I opened my cover once and immediately I noticed the water was a bit dull. Clear but dull. I checked the FC and it was at three. I usually like to keep it around 7-8. Way to close to minimum. I immediately brought the FC up to slam level and kept it there throughout the day. Stopped losing FC pretty close to evening. The next morning the water was Chrystal clear again and I passed the OCLT. So even with a SWG it pays to keep a few gallons around.

Reactions: markayash
I always keep a few gallons of bleach on hand in case I need a quick FC increase. My pool gets tons of use by the neighborhood kids and on a hot day I can go through the chlorine. After a big swim day I opened my cover once and immediately I noticed the water was a bit dull. Clear but dull. I checked the FC and it was at three. I usually like to keep it around 7-8. Way to close to minimum. I immediately brought the FC up to slam level and kept it there throughout the day. Stopped losing FC pretty close to evening. The next morning the water was Chrystal clear again and I passed the OCLT. So even with a SWG it pays to keep a few gallons around.
Great Idea, I have a couple also. I get why discount salt is cautious on replacing a SWG because I was almost convinced mine was broke. Only reason I didn’t was I saw a few small green spots and when I looked at the cell was making bubbles like mad

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.