May 31, 2021
Merion Station, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Third year with 24x12 intex ultra.
Last year's upgrade was an Intex SWG. Still got algae and I think I know why.
Last year's CYA was about 30. SWG was on for 3 hours a day. I don't think I ever understood the keep it above the minimum Chlorine at all times.
This year, upped the CYA to 60, running SWG for 6 hours overnight while running pump. 12 hours to keep it all moving. Keeps Chlorine nicely in the 6-7 ppm range and not a hint of algae yet. Fingers crossed, touch wood, etc etc.
Other lesson - run the Aiper Seagull every day.

And this year's upgrade...a hint in the picture.PXL_20230719_011514347.jpg

I can’t tell from picture - tell us the upgrade!

I kept my Intex around 70 CYA with the SWG. Seemed to be the sweet spot for me in the Florida sun. Also, nothing wrong with adding a bit of LC prior to or right after heavy use!

Reactions: Haggises
My other guess was a stiff drink floating in the pink flamingo floatie :laughblue:
hmmm. I was intrigued by the pointy thing above the liner patch. But now I’m thinking perhaps OP added a skimmer?
Both correct! Hayward skimmer installed. No drain, just me and a cordless drill with a long flex extension for the drill bit.

And the spike is from a palm tree floatie cup holder :)

I hope so, and I hope there is a prize!
You win the interweb's undying affection for the day.

Lesson for the week.
Remember Rule 1 - don't get cocky.
Eternal vigilance otherwise you don't notice that the robot cleaner didn't charge properly and you didn't up the chlorine after someone slathered on sunscreen and got straight in the pool and then you didn't even look at the pool for three days after.

Slamming time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you're going to run a 5 or 6, you need to pay close attention. Lots of things can swamp you if there isn't much wiggle room. All running hot affords me is more time to hopefully catch the issue. That in itself is most the battle.

We're here if you need us for the SLAM. :)

Reactions: Haggises
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.