Unwinterized and uncovered

24hr pump run on filter setting and no issues.

FC: 5
CC: 0

Added chlorine and had to leave. Today was very sunny and warm. Pool gets direct sunlight just about all day. When i work my 12hr shifts at the hospital it is always impossible to get the FC to stay within SLAM levels.

As summer approaches yo might find yourself needing to add a little more stabilizer for a CYA of 40-50. The more intense sun tears up the FC so it helps. Two things though about increasing CYA:
1 - Make sure there is no chance of algae (higher SLAM level)
2 - Be sure to keep the FC increased to that higher CYA per the FC/CYA Levels. Never let it drop below minimum.

In my area many non-salt pools are already at a CYA of 50, and some will go even higher in the peak of summer because of the intense sun. Your area might not be as hot, but you get the idea. Your numbers have been looking quite good so far.

As summer approaches yo might find yourself needing to add a little more stabilizer for a CYA of 40-50. The more intense sun tears up the FC so it helps. Two things though about increasing CYA:
1 - Make sure there is no chance of algae (higher SLAM level)
2 - Be sure to keep the FC increased to that higher CYA per the FC/CYA Levels. Never let it drop below minimum.

In my area many non-salt pools are already at a CYA of 50, and some will go even higher in the peak of summer because of the intense sun. Your area might not be as hot, but you get the idea. Your numbers have been looking quite good so far.
Ahh okay. I figure ill shoot for CYA of 40 and see what my FC is during the heat of summer. I can bump to 50 if needed. Ill need to drain below the skimmer for winter anyway.

I am considered an SWG for next season.

Would a solar cover post SLAM be a good idea. The pool will have periods of idle time with no swimming since we dont live at the house yet.

Edit: added picture. Last of the debris. Water clearing up well.
IMG_2813.jpg

Last edited:
Making good progress. :goodjob: A bit hazy still I see. I would not use the cover as it might interfere with the sun removing CC from the water. You also don't need the added heat which can cause more stress on the water.
I havent had any CC in a while. Usually 0.5 or less.

Also this is 48hrs straight on filter settings. Just arriving to check levels and backwash if needed.

Any tips on how to keep the ducks out of the pool?
Get Out Of Here Go Away GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Can see the bottom through the hazy water. Had no choice but to add water back to the pool. Had been flirting with low water level and the pump sucked air and wasnt circulating when i arrived today. Tested water after 20 minutes from fill end.

FC:4.5

Added chlorine and will test again in 30 minutes.

Reactions: Texas Splash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A bit confused. Tested CYA for the first time since adding water back to the pool and it tested higher than previous. Does the amount of sun effect CYA view tube results greatly? Last tested on a bright sunny day and today no choice but to test on an overcast day.

Test results today

FC: 7
CYA: 50 but could also be 60.

Please see pool math log for additions.

For the time being, i am going to use CYA of 50 and raise FC level accordingly.

Are the pool store CYA levels accurate? I need to go buy more liquid chlorine and i can bring a water sample with me.

Also can someone verify my gallons estimate is correct. 24' round ABG with 46" water level. If my CYA is accurate, and my gallons estimate is incorrect, cpuld explain why I've overshot my goal each time.

Last edited:
Checked FC level this morning at sunrise. Impromptu overnight FC loss.

FC :19 , added chlorine to bring it back to 20.

Water still cloudy but can see the bottom slightly.

Running out of time before vacation. Will need to figure out a plan for that as well. We leave 6/21 for VA Beach

Doing the overnight FC loss test. Water is clear, pictures don't do it justice. Vacuumed and backwashed. Will have no choice but to add water in the morning after the chlorine testing due to the backwashes this past week.

20210617_201659.jpg20210617_201703.jpg

FC:19

OCLT complete and passed. Water is clear, i can see the wrinkles in the liner. Unfortunately, it does look like the liner is either faded or bleached. Unsure if it was like this prior to my issues with circulation at start-up.

Still happy, it is done and clear. Ill adjust FC if needed after water is done being added.

Any thoughts? @Texas Splash @mknauss

20210618_075108.jpg20210618_075136.jpg

Reactions: Bperry
A better picture of water clarity20210618_081821.jpg

How long after adding water to test CYA?

We leave monday morning for vacation. I planned on having a family member add 5 ppm of liquid chlorine daily while we are gone. I figure its cheap insurance to prevent any issues from coming back.

Unfortunately, it does look like the liner is either faded or bleached.
One of the pitfalls to having TFP clear water. :) You can test the CYA at any time. Good plan to have family come by daily to add chlorine. :goodjob:

Water is looking great. Have some chlorine to use up during the vacation, so a family member will be adding 1 gallon of 5.25% chlorine to the pool every evening. According to pool math, this is 4 ppm of chlorine. Should leave the pool just as i left it for when i get back.

Full set of test results

FC:8.5
CC:0
TA:170
CYA:40
CH:400
pH:7.5

After vacation is over, it will be time to optimize the pool.

Reactions: mknauss
@Texas Splash @mknauss

How often should i need to add water to the pool? Pool gets full sun from 9AM until 5-6pm every day. Weather has been warm with no rain. I do not have a solar cover at this time. Pump has been running 24hrs a day, mainly due to not being at the house to cycle rhe pump on and off manually since it doesnt have a timer. I last added water on Tuesday June 29th, and was just under the screws on the skimmer. When i checked the pool an hour ago the water level was to the point the pump and filter had sucked air due to the skimmer flap causing turbulent flow.

I do not see any obvious visual leaks. I have attached the weather here for the last month. Is it possible this is all from evaporation?
Screenshot_20210701-221001_Chrome.jpg

You will have evaporation. In your area, 1/4" a day would be not unheard of. Keep the water level up at mid skimmer level to not run your pump dry.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.