Unable to SLAM!

Apr 1, 2016
Twin Cities, MN
On opening the pool this year, I quickly got the water clear and with very little CYA, was comfortable using trichloro tabs for a while. The TC was staying around 3.5, but with six of those tabs in the skimmer, I figured they were maintaining the chlorine levels and it would quickly flatline once I had to pull them out and just use bleach. I lost count but had put in about 14-15 bottles of 12.5% chlorine and couldn't get chlorine up to SLAM shock level. Not even close.

I added a jug of stabilizer to get my CYA up, waited 24 hours and here's where my levels were a week ago:

FC 3.5
CC 0
TC 3.5
TA 70
CH 600
pH 6.8
CYA 35

I pulled out the tabs and got very busy for a few days. Also turned on the pool heater and brought the water from 50 degrees to 85... local pool store was out of chlorine. I checked yesterday and the water was VERY cloudy. In an attempt to quickly get the levels up, I put in about 14 pounds of cal hypo. A few hours later, still almost no chlorine! Added 4 jugs of 12.5% chlorine and went to bed. Woke up this morning, still cloudy, almost no chlorine and the following levels:

FC .5
CC .5
TC 1
CYA - near zero! What happened to my CYA?
CH 500
TA 70

I realize it looks like I should add CYA, but I want to be VERY VERY cautious after the pool company screwed up the pool a few years ago with tabs and required me to truck in a very expensive 20k gallons of water.

Should I just keep adding bleach? Kind of at a loss here and definitely don't understand how my CYA disappeared... I use a good test kit ordered from this site. I scrubbed the liner really well on opening and there is no debris. Also, have brand new cartridge filters and extremely good flow on the pump.

Thanks!

'Soda

Do not add any more CYA until your water can hold chlorine.

Add 10 ppm of chlorine. Test chlorine every 30 minutes and add chlorine back to 10ppm until chlorine begins to hold. Add chlorine as needed to get back to 10 ppm.

Once you have at least 3 ppm of chlorine after 30 minutes then add 30 ppm of stabilizer. The follow the SLAM Process, lower your pH to 7.2 and raise your FC to 12.

Soda, Do something for me please.................test your FC, add in enough to get it up 5 over what you test it at AND run the pump on high.............the test it again in 15 mins. Yes that it quick but I have my reasons...........Allen is thinking what I am with what he said...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.