Trichlor and Liquid Chlorine experiment!?

If you have the time, and it seems like you do, and the funds, a Stenner pump is a really quick and easy solution to dosing LC. Check out Locke Well and Pump for the supplies. I have a 10gpd Stenner that runs about 30-45 min a day dosing LC from a 15 gal drum. I can run about 2 weeks on a single drum, then I refill with either straight bleach or 10% LC, depending on what I can get my hands on, and adjust run time as required for the different concentration.

Reactions: CombatVet13
I do almost exactly this last summer and so far this summer. As long as you test regularly and adjust accordingly, you're good to go.

Whatever the reason I lose about 4-5ppm CYA each month and while pH is pretty stable it rises slowly over the month. So about 4 or 5 pucks in a floater over a month keeps CYA and pH nearly perfect for me, but my primary source of chlorine is my Rola-Chem liquid chlorine pump.

Reactions: CombatVet13
Yes, you can do the same with muriatic acid, dosing rates would be different. Your option is two separate pumps, or one pump with two heads, probably adjustable. You would need two seperate injection points, preferably separated by as much distance as possible, or injecting to two different locations, like acid to main return and LC to water feature. I don't know the benefits/drawbacks to that setup, just an idea. The single pump setup I have is ideal.
Alternatively, you could convert to salt and install a SWG, for a little more money and hassle on the setup.

If you have the time, and it seems like you do, and the funds, a Stenner pump is a really quick and easy solution to dosing LC. Check out Locke Well and Pump for the supplies. I have a 10gpd Stenner that runs about 30-45 min a day dosing LC from a 15 gal drum. I can run about 2 weeks on a single drum, then I refill with either straight bleach or 10% LC, depending on what I can get my hands on, and adjust run time as required for the different concentration.
I’m very interested in getting one of these Stenner setups. I’m just now learning they exist.

Some things to consider:
1. Where will you inject? - I have an installed puck feeder that i wasn't using, I used it as a tap in pint since there was already a threaded port to use. You may not have that, you may have to install a T or drill and tap an existing coupling/elbow.
2. Already discussed separation of acid and LC.
3. Power - Pumps can be either 110 or 220. I only had 220 available, so had to adapt and tap off one leg of the 220 to use 110.
4. Timing/control/automation- you only want to inject when the main pump is running. You need some way to control that. There are many different ways to do that, based on what's available. If you look back through my posts, you can see my solutions, but you might come up with something different that works better for you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
i’m sure i lose cya from hot weather.
Ditto. The pool I have now gets sun all day and I've twice in the past couple of months added enough granular CYA to (in theory) bring my level to 40 or 50, yet it stays closer to 30. I'm sure if I dumped 4-5 trichlor tablets into the dispenser a week it would accumulate, but something is definitely degrading it. It's not splashout, and it hasn't been raining much in Houston these past couple of months. I'm not complaining, as I travel for work frequently so I can add a couple of tablets to the dispenser and not have to worry about coming home to a green pool.

this is basically how I maintain pools on my route in central California. It works just fine, but the cya does increase rapidly. "Wasting" some water each week via backwash or opening the filter drain plug will slow the pace of the increase. It's also an option to use cal hypo tablets. The acceptable range for calcium is much larger than cya. But really if it was me I would just buy a salt water system

I do this quite a bit in south Florida. Between the heat of the water, and the excessive rains I tend to lose about 10ppm of CYA a month. So lately I have been adding two pucks a week, some weeks I forget. Helps with pH, keeps the FC a little bit higher, and adds some CYA.

However, this is just a supplement to my SWG, and I do test my CYA pretty much weekly.

I know this is an older thread but it addresses a few points I've been thinking about. I was searching for Rola-Chem as a way to lessen the maintenance of adding LC daily, and as a way to make going on extended vacations (like up to a month) easier.

I really do believe that in the AZ deserts CYA degrades quite a bit. I'm not a chemist by any means, but given the heat, sunlight and significant evaporation (causing the auto-fill to run A LOT) I do think that CYA goes down more than a few PPM in the summer here. I haven't tested my fill water yet, but I'm pretty sure there's no CYA in it :cool:. Plus, I just decided, like the OP, to float a trichlor tab because my CYA went from 50 to about 42 - I know we're supposed to round up but it definitely went down.

I'll certainly continue to test my CYA - I've already burned through the 3 bottles of R-0013 included with my K-2006C :cool: - to get more data. The good news is that maybe I can use more trichlor tabs while I'm away than I thought, at least in the summer.

CYA does degrade in warmer water temperature. Once you get about 85-90F water temperature, you will see about 15-20% drop each month in the summer.

You can float a trichlor puck or two if you like. But you still must add liquid chlorine every day. The pucks will not add sufficient chlorine.

Reactions: Dtkokay
CYA does degrade in warmer water temperature. Once you get about 85-90F water temperature, you will see about 15-20% drop each month in the summer.

You can float a trichlor puck or two if you like. But you still must add liquid chlorine every day. The pucks will not add sufficient chlorine.
Thanks Marty - I totally get it. It's just that 1) I have a pretty good supply of pucks from my pre-TFP days that I'm trying to use up, and 2) I have to figure out a way to get my maintenance time down, especially in the summer when we tend to go away a lot. Hence the research on the Rola-Chems. I know I'm a prime candidate for an SWG, but that's a whole 'nother thread!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.