Too much free chlorine via test strips

My test strips indicate a very high free chlorine level. Pool size is 7400 gallons. SWG has been off for three days and FC level has not changed.
Do I need to add sodium thiosulfate?
Thanks
Welcome to TFP!!! :shark:

You will find that we are very much a testing based approach. Very hard to make recommendations without a good test kit and results. Check these out and get a good test kit. Link-->Test Kits Compared

You will probably lose more than 50% of your starting FC level to sunlight each day. No point in using chemicals to lower the FC level. The only real problem with thiosulfate is that it is very easy to use way too much and drive the FC level down to zero accidentally. But it is generally un-needed. Why get involved in extra complexity you don't need to worry about.

My test strips indicate a very high free chlorine level. Pool size is 7400 gallons. SWG has been off for three days and FC level has not changed.
Do I need to add sodium thiosulfate?
Thanks
The test strips are horribly unreliable. Don’t ever add any chemicals based on what they say.

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP.

You cannot tell if your FC has gone down over three days since your test strips are too inaccurate.

You cannot tell if your FC is really too high since you do not accurately know your CYA level.

Read …

You need to get the Taylor K-2006C or TFT Test Kits to accurately know what your pool chemistry is and what to do.

How do you chlorinate your pool?

Read about TFPC Methods …

Welcome to TFP!!! :shark:

You will find that we are very much a testing based approach. Very hard to make recommendations without a good test kit and results. Check these out and get a good test kit. Link-->Test Kits Compared

You will probably lose more than 50% of your starting FC level to sunlight each day. No point in using chemicals to lower the FC level. The only real problem with thiosulfate is that it is very easy to use way too much and drive the FC level down to zero accidentally. But it is generally un-needed. Why get involved in extra complexity you don't need to worry about.
Thanks so much. I’ll get a test kit

Welcome to TFP.

You cannot tell if your FC has gone down over three days since your test strips are too inaccurate.

You cannot tell if your FC is really too high since you do not accurately know your CYA level.

Read …

You need to get the Taylor K-2006C or TFT Test Kits to accurately know what your pool chemistry is and what to do.

How do you chlorinate your pool?

Read about TFPC Methods …

Thank you so much. I’ll get a test kit.

You wont be sorry. the good folks on this board will help you get the pool clearer than you could imagine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.