Three Questions from a New Guy Please

DanAbshere

Jan 17, 2021
Camano Island, WA
Hey everyone,
Trying to maintain and repair my six person Phoenix spa on my own. Can you help me with a few new guy questions?
1. Is it normal to lose an inch or two of water each month due to evaporation?
2. I just started using my spa almost daily, and maintaining it at 100 degrees in 40-50 degree weather. The filter is set to go on twice for three hours each. It is costing me about a hundred dollars more in electricity each month. Is that normal? (I know it depends on how much I pay for electricity in my area)
3. Is it normal to have water come our of the air vent (whatever that thing is called we open to increase the jet flow, see attached picture)?
Thank you in advance,
Dan

Attachments

• IMG_5507.jpg
    IMG_5507.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 14
Welcome!
1. do u wear bathing suits in your spa? Frequent use is likely contributing to your water loss more than evaporation. U lose water every time u get out on your skin & in your swimsuits or else u wouldn’t need a towel lol 🤣 It’s just much more noticeable in a small body of water like a spa vs a pool due to the small volume. I have to replenish h2o regularly in my small 200 gallon spa due to this especially with increased useage.
**I am assuming u don’t have any obvious leaks.
#2 & #3 must wait for @RDspaguy

Dan,

Just based upon my spa, an 1" per month sounds less than normal to me..

My spa has a low flow pump that runs 24/7. My jet pump only comes on twice a day for maybe an hour at the most.. I have not timed it.

I have a 4" spa cover, I assume you have something similar. My tub is surrounded by foam insulation.. Is your spa insulated??

My electrical bill does not change enough to even notice it is on..

I can't tell if your pic is of a water valve or an air valve.. The one I have that looks similar to yours controls which jets have water and which do not have water. I also have smaller valves that lets air mix with the water, but I have them all turned off as I don't really enjoy them.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Mdragger88
The leaking valve has an oring on top that wears out. They aell rebuild kits for some or even whole new valve amd body
As said using tub will cause splashout so kinda normal
If the tub is poorly insulated you will use alot of power. Especially true if you have high cost supply area. Mine is about 10ish summer and close to 30 now below freezing daily. I have a full foam tub with extra on top by me

Reactions: Mdragger88
If the valve is a water valve/diverter valve, that controls water flow, you probably have a bad o-ring or cracked cap. Remove the handle and unscrew the cap to check.
If it is an air control valve, which mixes air into the water making it white coming out of the jets, it should not have water in it and is being pressurized from closed/blocked jets or bad jet internals/o-rings. Remove jet internals and post a pic so I can see what you have there.

Thanks all for the info. Yes I have a 4 or 5 inch brand new insulated top from The Spa Guy, and there is hard foam insulation underneath.
1. I figured loosing an inch or two was normal...thank you.
3. Makes sense on an o-ring/gasket leak for the air valve...I'll look into that.
2. The cost of running my spa is the most perplexing. I tried to post videos of how much faster the electricity meter runs when the spa filter pump is on, but they are too large to post. Can an inefficient pump use too much electricity?
Nice picture Jim..I just left teaching at Randolph in 2018.
Thanks ya'll!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.