This one is for me....

I'm curious, having had to reshape a footing when I got an engineer involved for my two- and three-story deck project...

With all that weight, I was surprised to see such a small foot print. Is that because of the proximity to the pool? I think I had to do 2' x 2' if I remember right. And why so deep? Does that have something to do with shear?

Why couldn't you have shallower and wider footings for those two farther from the pool, and eliminate some digging by doing so?

I've never heard of Hydro vac excavation. Sounds cool. I was picturing myself trying to dig a 5' hole with a post hole digger and a shop vac! Ha, knowing me, for $2500, I'd probably try that anyway!! I need the exercise! ;)

I'm curious, having had to reshape a footing when I got an engineer involved for my two- and three-story deck project...

With all that weight, I was surprised to see such a small foot print. Is that because of the proximity to the pool? I think I had to do 2' x 2' if I remember right. And why so deep? Does that have something to do with shear?

Why couldn't you have shallower and wider footings for those two farther from the pool, and eliminate some digging by doing so?

I've never heard of Hydro vac excavation. Sounds cool. I was picturing myself trying to dig a 5' hole with a post hole digger and a shop vac! Ha, knowing me, for $2500, I'd probably try that anyway!! I need the exercise! ;)

Yes, shear/ lateral loads. The weight of the structure isn't all that much but the spans with minimal posts create excessive force on the footings/posts. I was fully prepared for 3'x3'x24" footings (pretty much the standard footing for all of the similar patios I've done) but since wood posts had too much deflection, the steel posts changed things. I just never expected this much of an issue...

Here are a couple others I did in the past and got around the lateral issue by using Strongwalls (basically a prefabed portal/shear wall).

This one required a grade beam so it was out for my current project:

Image651-1.jpg

And this one had 5'x5'x36" footings and that would be way too large of a footprint and surly interfere with the pool:

IMG_20160913_191217530-1.jpg

Well, I was just expecting to replace a few rotted boards on my decks. I found one rail post that was almost hollow!! You know how it goes. That turned into a complete tear out, a red tag, $1200 worth of permits requiring another $800 worth of engineering! For existing decks!! I have to admit, though, that they made me build 'em better than I would have, so I'm glad now that it's done and paid for. I lucked out in that my engineer was able to pick up a lot of what I had already done, so I didn't have to redo much.

Most of that was just county money grabbing. The final inspection took place from my front porch. He never did go up on either deck. They got their money, the inspection was just a formality...

At least your engineer found a way to get you what you wanted.

I've been wanting to ask... why those big bases around the posts? Is that structural or cosmetic? Seems like a lot of space taken up...

Well, I was just expecting to replace a few rotted boards on my decks. I found one rail post that was almost hollow!! You know how it goes. That turned into a complete tear out, a red tag, $1200 worth of permits requiring another $800 worth of engineering! For existing decks!! I have to admit, though, that they made me build 'em better than I would have, so I'm glad now that it's done and paid for. I lucked out in that my engineer was able to pick up a lot of what I had already done, so I didn't have to redo much.

Most of that was just county money grabbing. The final inspection took place from my front porch. He never did go up on either deck. They got their money, the inspection was just a formality...

At least your engineer found a way to get you what you wanted.

I've been wanting to ask... why those big bases around the posts? Is that structural or cosmetic? Seems like a lot of space taken up...

Cosmetic. I try to avoid the top-heavy look with limited posts. The bigger the spans between posts the larger the columns should be to keep it in proportion.

I've grown to like the half column look after doing it so many times to conceal the footings for patios with existing slabs. I haven't fully decided what I'm going to do on mine but I might make them into boulders so it looks like the posts were built on rock... Haven't fully decided yet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Can you take care of your shear requirements by using a wide flange between posts with welded moment connections at the top of your posts instead of relying on your footings?

That did come up but didn't change the footings much since they still needed the mass. The depth of the footings helped keep any stress from being transferred to the pool.

I would think uplift might become an issue too.

This is exactly why I prefer new construction...

Well bad news from the city...the planner said the patio encroaches into the corner lot setback.

I had addressed this issue with the city 3 months ago and was told I was good to go. I had whipped up a site plan and elevations so I could be sure there weren't any issues before spending the time and money on plans, engineering and HOA approval :roll:. I'm not sure what to do now...

On another note (and finally something pool related), my filter was leaking and I had a bad multi-port valve so I decided to fix it. I might have gotten a little carried away :laughblue:

IMG_20181114_182802708.jpg

And here it is completed:

IMG_20181116_142237_298.jpg

Ah that sucks. Variance? Play sympathy card based on your previous due diligence and "was told I was good to go" factor?

If they stick it to you, does that kill the entire project? Or what half would you lose?

Ah that sucks. Variance? Play sympathy card based on your previous due diligence and "was told I was good to go" factor?

If they stick it to you, does that kill the entire project? Or what half would you lose?

There was no proof of what I was told, only that I visited and talked to someone in planning.

I don't know that it's worth building if I lose that side. It will surely interfer with the pool plumbing run and as you can see that would entail rerouting 16 - 2"+ pipes

B! All of that for a spider gasket?? DUDE! You are the king of over kill :roll:

So can't you "share" the findings you got in the beginning with the brat saying nope now?

It was the same guy :brickwall:

I'm going to see if I can meet with the head of planning and maybe look into a variance if things need to go further.

The city sideyard setback is 5', the HOA's is 5' to the eaves. The problem is the Specific plan for the community states properties adjacent to a street need a 10' setback on that side.

The crazy thing is I discussed this at length with the HOA/Management Corp and it was approved. The city is trying to exceed their setback requirement and enforce the Community specific plan.... That the HOA approved! :crazy:

I have 14' to the property line and as drawn 5' from the property line to the face of the eaves.

If I go with their 10' setback that will give me a 4' cover on that side and the post footing will be smack in the way of the pool plumbing run (which I am NOT moving).

IMG_20181116_143305890.jpg

Hmmmm....I would try to fight it. Do you have a lawyer that could look at it? It seems that the city should not be enforcing a more restrictive code that they, in theory, have no control over....

Have you looked into getting a variance? Referred to in our city (Clovis) as a "minor deviation." There is CA state law that provides for this. You just have to make a factual showing of these four or five different criteria. For us, we had a lot coverage issue, and on the application I was able to adequately give them a factual basis for the criteria with a little creative thinking. Building department should have a form application.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.