This one is for me....

They sure did love their curves.............that ceiling was weird though.

Those walls you wanted to take out.......... you can't put a post there? What purpose does that whole thing serve? Just built around the support beam?

I am kinda with your wife on the staircase curve.....that is neat and different.

I am guessing you have another living area to escape to while this mess is happening?

Kim:kim:

There is already a post there inside the wall but if I take the walls away then I'll have a post in an odd spot. If I get rid of the post completely it will require a a 30' glulam beam and a whole lot of heartache shoring up the house until its ready to be installed. I don't think its worth it.

There are other places to escape in the house:ROFLMAO:

Now that the arches are gone I think the hallway arch looks out of place. I think it should get squared off.

I'd also like to make an opening in the wall at least open up room somewhat

See, me, I’m a fan of arched doorways. Back east everything was friggen square, so to me it “softens” up the room.
I like your idea of another opening in that wall to give the room more “space” feeling, maybe make that an arch too, with a downward light to highlight a nice piece of art.

Really? Maybe it’s not halon that I’m thinking of. What’s the type of suppression system used in gas stations?

A lot of them use a dry chemical agent like what is in an extinguisher since gas(oil) and water don't mix. The other option is a class B foam like AFFF

Neither would really work in a house though since the powder would create a suffocation hazard and the foam would require an injection system and/or large storage tanks. Water is cheap and readily available - not to mention its very effective.

See, me, I’m a fan of arched doorways. Back east everything was friggen square, so to me it “softens” up the room.
I like your idea of another opening in that wall to give the room more “space” feeling, maybe make that an arch too, with a downward light to highlight a nice piece of art.

I like the arches too but they close off the space and being off centered makes them look random and out of place. All the other openings are square in the house.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a ball valve on the main water line coming into my house. One quick flip of a lever shuts down all water. That would be even more important if I had residential sprinklers.

Oh I LOVE the idea of making an opening there with a piece of art in it. Stain glass pretty hanging in i? Pretty vase with real flowers? A water feature????

Kim:kim:
Uhhh... um....yeah. I was thinking a scaled sculpture of Matt wearing his favorite pair of dolphin shorts.

I really like the idea of the opening but my wife talked to our neighbor who is an interior designer and the two of them are ganging up on me. They said it's going to be too choppy and wouldn't look "right."

If I was to bet on it I would assume I'll lose this battle.

I’ll send you a bunch of my modeling photos so you can peruse them and pick out the one you want....I can’t post them as they’d violate the site rules. I also know a sculptor here in town that does AMAZING “living art”. He even incorporates fondue fountains into his pieces. You can get a cheese flow from any part of the sculpture you prefer. Just let me know, and I’ll see if he’s back from his “Peruvian spirit walk” journey.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.