Thinking about Pentair Intelliflow 3hp model 011056

garywi

Silver Supporter
Jul 12, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Hey Guys, looking to replace my 15 year old Hayward Northstar SP4015NS 1.5hp pump. Will the Intellflow work with my Jandy AquaLink RS automation. Is there anything else I should think about. Thank you

Attachments

• B030DC0F-C185-4FAE-8952-6E39318A0EAF.jpeg
    B030DC0F-C185-4FAE-8952-6E39318A0EAF.jpeg
    642.9 KB · Views: 9
I recently installed the same Pentair pump and I have AquaLink. I had the PDA version 5.0 first and it did use the RS485 cable from the pump to the PCB and able to control it. Also, I just upgraded to iAqauaLink iQ30-RS which is a new PCB and antenna to connect to PC and app. The pump works with that as well. You have to select the VS or the VF version as AquaLink will not handle the combined system i.e. VSF

I recently installed the same Pentair pump and I have AquaLink. I had the PDA version 5.0 first and it did use the RS485 cable from the pump to the PCB and able to control it. Also, I just upgraded to iAqauaLink iQ30-RS which is a new PCB and antenna to connect to PC and app. The pump works with that as well. You have to select the VS or the VF version as AquaLink will not handle the combined system i.e. VSF
Thank you. I had no idea it was this complicated. I thought the Aqualink just provided power on/off to the pump motor and the programing pad on the Pentair would handle all the wizardry. o_O

Thank you. I had no idea it was this complicated. I thought the Aqualink just provided power on/off to the pump motor and the programing pad on the Pentair would handle all the wizardry. o_O
Depends what wizardry you were expecting. You can run an IntelliFlo with an old Aqualink as I do. Any changes to speeds need to be done manually at the pump.

Thank you. I thought you program the speeds and timing on the pump itself, not on the wall controller.

You can setup some schedules on the pump. But the pump does not know what the Aqualink schedules are doing like running the heater, or spa, or spillover.

I find my pool use is not that predictable. So I run my IntelliFlo 24/7 and switch speeds manually to meet my needs.

Reactions: garywi
Here is what I have for automation. I am not clear on what the downsides are for going forward with the Pentair VS pump. Should I be looking at a Hayward? Thank you!IMG_0201.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0202.jpeg
    IMG_0202.jpeg
    287.1 KB · Views: 2
Here is what I have for automation. I am not clear on what the downsides are for going forward with the Pentair VS pump. Should I be looking at a Hayward? Thank you!View attachment 378342
It appears you have the One Touch interface panel. Can you confirm what your revision firmware is for your PCB by doing the following

If you have the Aqualink OneTouch Panel then MENU/SELECT(press SELECT) -> SELECT (for HELP) -> DIAGNOSTICS (press SELECT).

That will determine next step if you require a new PCB or other options.

As indicated by Allen, you can hook up a VS pump but your automation may only treat it by either putting it On or Off. You would need to program directly the pump to run different speeds and different times.

An overview picture of your equipment pad may help as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It appears you have the One Touch interface panel. Can you confirm what your revision firmware is for your PCB by doing the following

If you have the Aqualink OneTouch Panel then MENU/SELECT(press SELECT) -> SELECT (for HELP) -> DIAGNOSTICS (press SELECT).

That will determine next step if you require a new PCB or other options.

As indicated by Allen, you can hook up a VS pump but your automation may only treat it by either putting it On or Off. You would need to program directly the pump to run different speeds and different times.

An overview picture of your equipment pad may help as well.
Thank you Herman. I mean, I am not set on the Pentair, I just need a pump that will work. Firmware L. I understand I need at least O?

Attachments

• IMG_0203.jpeg
    IMG_0203.jpeg
    302.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0205.jpeg
    IMG_0205.jpeg
    687.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0206.jpeg
    IMG_0206.jpeg
    508.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0204.jpeg
    IMG_0204.jpeg
    705.7 KB · Views: 4
Correct. Your current PCB firmware (L) will not support VS pump operation other than turn it on or off as discussed by Allen above. Clearly you have other things working with your current Aqualink so you can do as Allen suggested or you can purchase an Jandy upgrade kit for your AquaLink system to get capability with a VS pump to set schedules and speeds. Based on what I see, the upgrade kit does work with a Pentair VS pump as well as the Jandy VS pump. I am not sure AquaLink works with Hayward VS pumps. Maybe @ajw22 knows more about that.

For a reference point - I purchased the iQ30-RS (upgrade kt) which is the latest PCB and the new 3.0 Antenna. It provides access via PC or via phone app. And I think you can also maintain your One Touch panel as well - Allen maybe has more info.
The iQ30-RS kit is about $1400 and you most likely will need to have someone install it as Jandy only sells through distributors, pool stores, etc.

Correct. Your current PCB firmware (L) will not support VS pump operation other than turn it on or off as discussed by Allen above. Clearly you have other things working with your current Aqualink so you can do as Allen suggested or you can purchase an Jandy upgrade kit for your AquaLink system to get capability with a VS pump to set schedules and speeds. Based on what I see, the upgrade kit does work with a Pentair VS pump as well as the Jandy VS pump. I am not sure AquaLink works with Hayward VS pumps. Maybe @ajw22 knows more about that.

For a reference point - I purchased the iQ30-RS (upgrade kt) which is the latest PCB and the new 3.0 Antenna. It provides access via PC or via phone app. And I think you can also maintain your One Touch panel as well - Allen maybe has more info.
The iQ30-RS kit is about $1400 and you most likely will need to have someone install it as Jandy only sells through distributors, pool stores, etc.
Thanks Again Herman. I don't want to spend $1400 for a controller upgrade and then $1900 for the pump, $3300 total just for maybe saving some money. I run my single speed pump for 7 hours from June-Sept and have no algae. Maybe I should just find the compatible Hayward single speed pump.

Thanks Again Herman. I don't want to spend $1400 for a controller upgrade and then $1900 for the pump, $3300 total just for maybe saving some money. I run my single speed pump for 7 hours from June-Sept and have no algae. Maybe I should just find the compatible Hayward single speed pump.
Makes sense. FYI - I bought my Pentair VSF pump earlier this year for about $1800 and I then got a $350 rebate from the electric company and another $100 rebate directly from Pentair. So check out what may be available because I feel a VS pump is better for all in the longer term.

Reactions: garywi
After talking with several local pool companies, I am going with Pentair Intelliflow 2 HP Variable speed pump $1562.00 installed and the Pentair Intellicom for $450.00 which will integrate with my Jandy automation without changing it out. Hope I am making the right decision.

Pentair Intellicom for $450.00 which will integrate with my Jandy automation without changing it out. Hope I am making the right decision.
If you are home when they do the set up with the Intellicomm - please take some pictures of what wires are connected to what ports. I read the manual and it appears that will work, just curious how all of that is set up. Good Luck.

For pools in areas that restrict replacement pump flow rates, the IntelliFlo i1 Variable Speed Pool Pump for inground pools may be the ideal choice.

Its hydraulic design reduces flow rates while providing the significant energy savings you’d expect from a Pentair variable speed pump.

With a maximum rating of seven amps, this makes retrofits easier in applications that are limited by existing wire gauge size.

7 amps x 230 volts = 1,610 watts, which is about equal to the 1.65 total hp whisperflo.

IntelliFlo i2 Variable Speed Pool pump is hydraulically engineered to provide maximum performance on a 15-amp breaker.

It has a maximum rating of 11.8 amps, which makes retrofits easier in applications that are limited by existing wire gauge size.

11.8 amps x 230 volts = 2,714 watts, which is about equal to a 2.7 hp pump.

So, even though the i1 and i2 are listed as 3.95 total hp, the total hp is limited to about 1.65 and 2.7 total hp by the impeller and the software.

IntelliFlo i1 (011059) WEF 7.5 THP 3.95

IntelliFlo i2 (011060) WEF 6.9 THP 3.95

Impeller......Total HP.

073128 Impeller, i1 Pump = 1.65 total H.P.

073131A Impeller, i2 Pump = 3.45? or 2.7 with the software limitation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.