Testing kits question - new pool fill

There is no subjectivity with the K-1766. Why wouldn’t one rely on it?
Due the variances that all salt tests have, they may be off in opposite directions. Say, the cell reading high and Taylor reading the low end of range.

When they kinda agree it's great but when they don't you want multiple opinions so that hopefully a couple of them agree. Say, the cell, Taylor, 2 pool stores and a handheld salt meter.

I wouldn't think to add one bag of salt per Taylor, but I wouldn't cut out my flow switch or replace the cell with only Taylor.

I noticed my app allows me to set SWG chlorination % for pool and then has a separate tab for spa. Am I setting both to the desired % or just pool since my spillover will draw water into the spa? Or does each body of water need its own %? If so, I guess I need to test and calculate the FC loss for spa only and then set % for spa chlorination level accordingly?

Thanks all!Screenshot_20230927_064540_iAquaLink.jpg

Set the Spa % generation at or about 10% of the Pool generation level. That way when you are using Spa mode, you will be generating a bit of chlorine while enjoying the spa.

Reactions: JC707
Alright final testing done for salt.

Panel read 3.4 after I added the last 2 bags yesterday, this morning it was 3.1-3.2 bouncing back and forth. It seems the panel reading settles back down after a day or so?

Salt tested at 3.0...I will say the salt test is the easiest for me as it goes from yellow to salmon pink quickly and easy to distinguish. 👍

Played with PM effects of adding for SWG for a few days and I believe I am ready. Turning on SWG for the first time right NOW. 😃

Also added my last liquid chlorine dose this morninf before work. Tested FC at 6.0 just now.

After turning on the SWG, when do I want to start raising up CYA? Is tomorrow ok?

+1 to road testing it first being late in the season, and +1 to OCLT if you decide to bump it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Random question but why does CYA need to be higher when using SWG verses liquid chlorine?
From Pool Water Chemistry
"Salt Water chlorine Generation (SWG) pools seem to require a higher level of CYA, about 70-80 ppm, to operate efficiently. The theory is that the CYA is slow to "store" the chlorine as it is being generated so without enough CYA there is a build-up of chlorine that degrades the performance of the salt cell. I would prefer that the SWG manufacturers offer a larger lower-power (per length) cell that would work efficiently at lower CYA concentrations."

Just got home and started up SWG.

Bubbles are coming out from 1 return jet now as soon as SWG switched on.

Any cause for concern? Reading up on TFP looks like may just be hydrogen gas bubbles. 🤔

I was going to ask how would I know if SWG is working and this may be a sign? Lol

Screenshot_20230927_160816_Gallery.jpg

The SWG produces many tiny bubbles like champagne. Usually they exit the first return in the series.

The bubbles on top look too big though. Are they from many little ones combining, or are large bubbles coming out the return ?

What ended up happening with the heater bubbles.

Ran inside to get something and back outside 10 minutes later... bubbles are much smaller and less of them.

Maybe when first turning on SWG for first time just a lot of hydrogen gas creation?

The SWG produces many tiny bubbles like champagne. Usually they exit the first return in the series.

The bubbles on top look too big though. Are they from many little ones combining, or are large bubbles coming out the return ?

What ended up happening with the heater bubbles.

Yeah it appears tons a little ones made larger ones. It was a lot of bubbles at first I was like oh no what's up?! Lol

Heater bubbles I'm still lost on. I plan to add it to my final punch list and have builder look at. I know they fixed a leak at a PVC pipe connection that connects to heater but that looks all good now. I read I can spray water on it to test for leaks I can't see, I will try that.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.