Testing kits question - new pool fill

Your thought process is dead on the money. (y) But it's too little cushion for my liking for myself, much less someone learning. Lol.

Sounds good, I will bump up my cushion for sure!

And just when I am getting the hang of adding liquid chlorine, now I am adding the SWG I am all confused on setting up chlorine with my SWG. I'll read up on the TFP SWG articles today for sure.

Reactions: Newdude
Each 40 pound bag of salt will add 217ppm.
12 bags would be about 2600ppm
2600 + 600 = 3200

Verify the bags are 40 pounds each.
If so, add 9 bags in the shallow end, brush until dissolved, run pump 24/7, retest salt 24 hours or more later.
Add addition salt if needed to get to your gaol salt lefel.

Any time you add more than a bag of salt, be sure the SWG is off and you mix the water with the pump for at least 24 hours bedore starting up the SWG.

Right on!

Is it better to end up low end, middle, or high end of the 3,000-3,500 target?

Also does salt levels go down as time goes by or only goes up? I am debating if I need to keep extra on hand just in case. 🤔

Not going to lie, very excited to get this salt into pool. My 6 year old has some bad eczema on legs and salt water does wonders for her. Well at least in the ocean....I am sure these salt levels are much much lower but figure it will still help a bit. 😃

My kids want to swim today and want me to warm the pool up. Can this be done simultaneously while I add in salt or should I not warm up the water when I do the salt addition?

We swim in Lake Tahoe which water is freezing but they are pleading with me to warm up pool. 😆

I may compromise and warm up spa, they can warm up in there if they want! Lol

But only if it doesn't mess with the salt addition today.

My kids want to swim today and want me to warm the pool up. Can this be done simultaneously while I add in salt or should I not warm up the water when I do the salt addition?
Swim / heat away. The warmer water may even help it dissolve quicker. Brush it every half hour and it'll be gone by #2 or 3.

You can heat the pool and/or the spa. Best to have pool and spa water mixing together to evenly distribute the salt water.

You can also toss the salt in. The kids splashing around will help mix it in.
Some call it "Diamond Day" as the salt crystal can glisten like diamonds in the water.

Reactions: JC707

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok 9 bags are in. Will test after work tomorrow will be 24 hours. Thinking it may need 1 more bag but we'll see.

Will need some guidance on starting up the SWG....nervous about it!

Thanks all.

Ok 9 bags are in
Sorry it appears we were all out this afternoon. You can always add as much salt as you want at once, being conscious of over shooting and whatnot. (y)

For large adds, ensure SWG off / 0%

For 1 bag or less maintenance doses the cell can remain on and just brush it sideways so it stays in the shallow end if you have main drains.

Will need some guidance on starting up the SWG....nervous about it!
Pop quiz :

1) how much does your cell produce per 24 ?

2) what has your recent daily loss been ?

3) what cell% and pump hours would satisfy the recent loss ?

4) True/False : if you dial the cell in at 9-10 FC, there is nothing to be nervous about because you have 2 full days of safety net FC, maybe more.

• Wow
Pop quiz :
4) True/False : if you dial the cell in at 9-10 FC, there is nothing to be nervous about because you have 2 full days of safety net FC, maybe more.
Great questions and ones every SWG owner needs to have the answers to.

Reactions: JC707 and Newdude
Putting together some outdoor furniture- still plugging along but came in to try to answer these...

Pop quiz :

Hmm not sure BUT I will find out - don't tell me please 🙂
During the hot spell we had, 4-ish per day. Pretty sure it's around 3 right now.
Not sure but will find out and repot back. No one tell me please.

Hmmm I'd guess false. Maybe cell fails, it rains and dilutes chlorine, or a big bather load eats up all the chlorine.

This one you can tell me if I am correct or not! Lol

Hmm not sure BUT I will find out - don't tell me please 🙂
Go into the upper left menu in poolmath. Select SWG and click the eyeglass icon next to cell output. Note your models output from that menu and enter it into the field. Then enter 24 hours and 100% and it will tell you your FC production for 24 hours of runtime.

From there you can play with runtime and/or % to find equivalent maths. For example. 100% of 12 hours will produce the same as 50% of 24 hours. (Etc etc).

During the hot spell we had, 4-ish per day. Pretty sure it's around 3 right now.
Sound about right so research combos that produce 3ppm a day in poolmath and pick one that fits your existing schedule. For example, say you already run 12 hours. Alter the % at 12 hours to find the one which will produce 3ppm a day.

This skill answers question #3

Hmmm I'd guess false. Maybe cell fails, it rains and dilutes chlorine, or a big bather load eats up all the chlorine.
It was a true statement. If you dial the cell in (while aslo learning) near minimum, say, 5 to 7 ppm, you don't have much wiggle room if you fail to match today's loss. Or if an unforseen event happens. If you dial it in near the high side of target, there's lots of safety net FC to keep you in the clear.

Or you overproduce, turn it down/off for a day until it's back at the high side of target (from a 14?) and try again to match the daily loss around high target. This is the way to goof, as you won't be gifted a swamp for your errors. Stay nice and clear from minimum while you learn.

Go into the upper left menu in poolmath. Select SWG and click the eyeglass icon next to cell output. Note your models output from that menu and enter it into the field. Then enter 24 hours and 100% and it will tell you your FC production for 24 hours of runtime.

From there you can play with runtime and/or % to find equivalent maths. For example. 100% of 12 hours will produce the same as 50% of 24 hours. (Etc etc).

Sound about right so research combos that produce 3ppm a day in poolmath and pick one that fits your existing schedule. For example, say you already run 12 hours. Alter the % at 12 hours to find the one which will produce 3ppm a day.

This skill answers question #3

It was a true statement. If you dial the cell in (while aslo learning) near minimum, say, 5 to 7 ppm, you don't have much wiggle room if you fail to match today's loss. Or if an unforseen event happens. If you dial it in near the high side of target, there's lots of safety net FC to keep you in the clear.

Or you overproduce, turn it down/off for a day until it's back at the high side of target (from a 14?) and try again to match the daily loss around high target. This is the way to goof, as you won't be gifted a swamp for your errors. Stay nice and clear from minimum while you learn.

Wow thank you newdude! VERY helpful info. I was looking for the dang SWG manual last night the equipment installer left me to try to answer your pop quiz but cannot locate it for the life of me.

I was thinking hmmm maybe the handy dandy pool math app has it somewhere in the app but didn't get to play around with it. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I will be testing salt after work today this evening which will be 25-ish hours post salt addition. My I-Aqua Link salt LCD screen @ at panel does show 3,000 but I've read it isn't entirely accurate and I plan to use my salt test kit anyways 👍

I will try to download the SWG manual today at work so I know how to turn it on today. I'm thinking I just use my app to set chlorination % and that's it?

I'm trying to determine if it's better to run it 24 or 12 or even less hours per day. 🤔
My initial thought is longer it runs the more wear and tear on the SWG?

I also like to run my pump at low rpms 24 hours per day, but I am waiting for my first electric bill to see what the costs are for this. This bill should be coming in shortly and I'll adjust maybe to shorter pump run time. I wonder if I can run the pump with SWG is off or once I set chlorination % for SWG, anytime the pump is on the SWG will be on and producing and the pump/SWG will now be tied in together once SWG is officially turned on?

I will be testing salt after work today this evening which will be 25-ish hours post salt addition. My I-Aqua Link salt LCD screen @ at panel does show 3,000 but I've read it isn't entirely accurate and I plan to use my salt test kit anyways
indiana-jones-last-crusade.gif

I'm trying to determine if it's better to run it 24 or 12 or even less hours per day. 🤔
My initial thought is longer it runs the more wear and tear on the SWG
Hours 'on' is hours on. 12 hours producing is 12 hours lost from 10k expected. No more, no less.
I wonder if I can run the pump with SWG is off or once I set chlorination % for SWG, anytime the pump is on the SWG will be on and producing and the pump/SWG will now be tied in together once SWG is officially turned on?
Yup. You can run the pump 24, but the SWG only 12, or you can run both 24 and have the SWG at 50%. I prefer the SWG at 24 and then just 40%, 60% (etc) as necessary. It basically keeps the FC topped off around the clock instead of having 12(?) hours to drift down a little until the cell kicks back on. As the season winds down I just dropped to 20% from 40%. During the peak season I needed 60%/24.

Looks like pool math doesn't list the Nature 2 Fusion I have. I see Jandy though. I'll try to locate the Nature manual left for me then locate the 24 hour output and match it to one of the Jandy models...does that work?

View attachment 532381

Hours 'on' is hours on. 12 hours producing is 12 hours lost from 10k expected. No more, no less.

Yup. You can run the pump 24, but the SWG only 12, or you can run both 24 and have the SWG at 50%. I prefer the SWG at 24 and then just 40%, 60% (etc) as necessary. It basically keeps the FC topped off around the clock instead of having 12(?) hours to drift down a little until the cell kicks back on. As the season winds down I just dropped to 20% from 40%. During the peak season I needed 60%/24.

Thanks newdude! I was going to say I would actually prefer a 24 hour run time for SWG as well...just keep that guy producing around the clock. 😃

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.