SWG % in Fall/Winter

orangepower10

Jul 13, 2019
Sulphur, Oklahoma
Recently built our own pool with poolwarehouse kit. We are planning on keeping it uncovered and running during the fall/winter months. I have been battling High Alkalinity throughout the summer. Do most people keep their SWG running through the winter and if so whats a typical %? Ours is currently set at 40%. Any other tips for maintaining the pool through the fall/winter would be appreciated. Thanks.

Current Water Levels
PH - 7.6
FC - 7
TA - 150
CYA - ~30
Water Temp - 80

Once your pool water temperature gets below 60F, your SWCG will stop producing chlorine. At that time, you use liquid chlorine to maintain your FC levels. As the sun angle is so low, you will lose very little FC each day. So checking it once a week should be sufficient when the water temperature is below 60F.

Be sure you know how to drain up your surface equipment if you get a power outage during freezing weather. Your pool pump will run when the air temperatures get to ~40F or below as I believe that VS pump has freeze protection.

Reactions: orangepower10
.Your pool pump will run when the air temperatures get to ~40F or below as I believe that VS pump has freeze protection.

The EcoStar does not have built in freeze protection. It does have a low temp setting that only keeps the drive at or above the low temp set point. It is not intended to protect the system from freezing.

Up to you. I turn mine off. Depends on how you have it controlled electrically. You do not show an automation system in your signature.

I let mine turn off on it's own. Mainly so I dont need to remember to turn it back on. Often times water temp will fluctuate so part of the run cycle may be above 50F.

Also, below 60F the on percentage is automatically reduced so you need to take that into account.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.