Rate my first year SWG water

hwy17

Mar 17, 2021
Northern California
We got a lot of rain this winter so my water is unusual. Fill water is 220-250 alk and calcium which makes me resistant to fixing this ph right away with soda ash cause I think I'm gonna have trouble keeping alk down if anything this season.

7 chlorine
7.0 ph
80 cya
60 alkalinity
120 calcium hardness
2800 salt

Generator is running for a few days and seems to be maintaining 7ppm at 10%! I still get the pang in my head at 4pm to go out and add the chlorine.

7 in the morning, 7 at night! My single speed pump runs solar heating hours, which happens to align logically with chlorinating hours.

Slightly miss being able to do a quick check with a k-1001 DPD though, as worked well when I was targeting 3-5ppm.

Slightly miss being able to do a quick check with a k-1001 DPD though, as worked well when I was targeting 3-5ppm.
Run hot for the safety net it provides. Whether it's a car accident that knocks out power for the afternoon, a big storm that comes out of nowhere, an impromptu get together or a particularly high UV day, you'll be covered.

The added bonus is the OTO test will be Big Bird yellow, or light orange. It won't really matter if it's an 8.5 or an 11, you'll know you have enough FC to not be concerned about minimum for a while.

Run hot for the safety net it provides. Whether it's a car accident that knocks out power for the afternoon, a big storm that comes out of nowhere, an impromptu get together or a particularly high UV day, you'll be covered.

The added bonus is the OTO test will be Big Bird yellow, or light orange. It won't really matter if it's an 8.5 or an 11, you'll know you have enough FC to not be concerned about minimum for a while.
I had mine at 5 ( cooler water ) but after spring pollen and seems like rain everyday it started getting cloudy and I spotted a few green patches. Plus the SWG said low salt, my SWG control panel is in a pool room so don't check it that often.
Luckily after a few bags of salt and a SLAM, its back to normal. MY CYA was a little low so I used powdered shock.

Said all this to enforce Newdude point. Better to keep it at little high IMHO. Plus a salt pool doesn't feel as sticky so no real disadvantage.
I have also learned to keep a spare bag of salt after I noticed low salt one Friday night before we were heading out of town the next morning.

Reactions: hwy17 and Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.