Robot vs Pool Pump during Texas Fall/Winter

May 18, 2013
Has anyone used the robot pool cleaner to filter the pool during the winter months instead on using the main pump/filter? I get a lot of leaves and some berries during the fall/winter months and use my Dolphin Premier robot cleaner a few times a week and thought I might be able to save a few bucks and hold off running the main pump and use the robot to clean the debris and water. My pool rarely gets below 45 degrees. Granted the freeze guard may come on a few times a month as I don't usually winterize the pool as I use the spa occasionally unless I know a huge winter storm is coming like the Texas storm in 2021. Looking for thoughts and opinions...

Pool Facts:
SWG Pool (I use Liquid Chlorine in Winter)
FC: 1-2ppm
PH: 7.5
Boric Acid 50ish PPM
30k gallons

It is possible to maintain a pool without running the main pump. However, you may still need some chlorination so how do you plan on doing that with the pump off?

One option is to run the pump once every couple of days for just the chlorine (at 100%).

Last edited:
It says in your signature you have a Intelliflo variable speed pump. Run it for a few hours a day a least. At 1200 RPM you are talking about 110 watts, about the same as an older lightbulb. I run my pump 24/7/365. If I turned it off I would not notice the difference on my electric bill.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.