SWG cap for cleaning?

You should only soak your SWG in a MA solution if you cannot clean scale by other less damaging methods.

See other methods of cleaning the cell in SWG How It Works - Further Reading

In over 10 years I have never needed to clean my IntelliChlor cells.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Is there a part number for a cap for my Intellichlor SWG so I can perform the muriatic acid maintenance soak?

Pentair 520670 IntelliChlor Acid Washing Kit​

INTELLICHLOR® AND iCHLORTM ELECTROLYTIC CELL ACID CLEANING KIT (P/N 523103)

Last edited:
You should only soak your SWG in a MA solution if you cannot clean scale by other less damaging methods.

See other methods of cleaning the cell in SWG How It Works - Further Reading

In over 10 years I have never needed to clean my IntelliChlor cells.
The SWG has been throwing a low flow error lately and when I called Pentair they told me acid cleaning is necessary every few months.

The SWG has been throwing a low flow error lately and when I called Pentair they told me acid cleaning is necessary every few months.

Low flow is rarely due to scaling. Remove the cell and it will be obvious if you have scale clogging the cell. If you don't see scale then don't acid clean it.

You got the standard answer by a support person reading off a script and doing nothing to diagnose the root cause of your problem. Pentair will be very happy selling you new cells due to the acid damaging them.

Take a look at your cell before you do anything.

The flow switch frequently fails.

Clean your filter. A dirty filter can cause low flow.

Last edited:
P,

Low flow has zero to do with cleaning the cell..

Either you have low flow because your filter is dirty, or the flow switch assembly is bad.

How old is the cell??

I guess if the cell was completely full of scale, then that might affect the flow, but I would think you would have other problems with the cell besides just a low flow light.

When you stick your hand in front of a pool return, do you feel a strong flow or not??

Thanks,

Jim R.

There is flow - I have verified. I've tried turning flow up very high and still get the error. Resetting the breakers and restarting the system clears the error and the SWG operates normally for a week or so. System is a about 14mo old. Reported issue when it was about 12mo old.
edit: I have really soft water, btw.

There is flow - I have verified. I've tried turning flow up very high and still get the error. Resetting the breakers and restarting the system clears the error and the SWG operates normally for a week or so. System is a about 14mo old. Reported issue when it was about 12mo old.

Sounds like a flaky flow switch.

edit: I have really soft water, btw.

Numbers please from your own test kit.

Softness of your water does not matter for scaling. What causes scaling is the CSI in the cell.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.