Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
I recently had my IC60 fail somewhat violently. I came home to find the top portion or “cap” of the cell laying a good 15-20 ft from the equipment pad with a burn mark on the inside of the cap and a small puncture through the black membrane inside the cell. Very similar to the images in this thread: Top panel blew off IIntelliChlor IC40

It has been replaced, but wanted to see if anyone had any theories on what may have caused this, to hopefully avoid it from happening again.

Would it be plausible that a flow rate at or near the trigger rate for the flow sensor could be the culprit? Just speculating that maybe the control system implements poor or no hysteresis, and that with a flow rate near the trigger rate for the flow switch, it could have been rapidly being triggered on and off, causing some sort of issue. I’m only throwing out that guess because I do run the pump at a low speed for most of the day, and once I lose enough flow that the spa stops or nearly stops spilling over, that’s my cue (and right on schedule anyways) to backwash the filter. So the flow rate can get awfully low, and while I wouldn’t let it get to zero, maybe I got too close?

Zach,

Does your cell have any lights on when the pump is not running?

If so, this can cause the cell to explode.. Does not happen often, but does happen.

Do you have Automation or is this a standalone cell???

Thanks,

Jim R.

Zach,

Does your cell have any lights on when the pump is not running?

If so, this can cause the cell to explode.. Does not happen often, but does happen.

Do you have Automation or is this a standalone cell???

Thanks,

Jim R.
The power is wired to the filter relay on an intellitouch automation system. So it’s only getting power when the pump is running. But that’s why I’m wondering if maybe the flow rate from the pump got so low that the pump could have almost been considered to be functionally “off”, and the flow sensor either did not function properly or was being quickly cycled on/off.

Did it freeze by you ? Gas buildup would have to take out the guts in order to damage the top. But if only the top was damaged or defective it would let water in that would short the electronics out.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Did it freeze by you ? Gas buildup would have to take out the guts in order to damage the top. But if only the top was damaged or defective it would let water in that would short the electronics out.
Nope no freezing temps here for a few months. But out of curiosity, what might a freeze indicate?

But thanks. To clarify, it sounds like you are saying this just appears like something caused the circuitry to short out, and doesn’t resemble the effects of a gas build up… correct?

Here are a few pics, first one showing the puncture on that black membrane.
IMG_1917.jpegIMG_1913.jpeg