dsalisbu

Aug 12, 2022
France
Hi,
I have a SWG (Autopilot DIG 220), single speed water pump and Jandy Ti5000 Air source heat pump. The timer in the SWG turns on/off the pump as per wiring in manual. The heater turns on/off the water pump when heat is needed. All three can be on together, two (SWG and water pump), two (water pump and heat pump). The water pump is getting old and I want to change to VSP. VSPs that I have looked at have their own built in timers Any ideas how I can wire the three elements so that the same arrangements will remain? I am worried that separate timers for SWG and VSP could risk the SWG coming on without the pump If a power cut resets the pump clock. Hope I have not confused everyone!

Hi,
I have a SWG (Autopilot DIG 220), single speed water pump and Jandy Ti5000 Air source heat pump. The timer in the SWG turns on/off the pump as per wiring in manual. The heater turns on/off the water pump when heat is needed. All three can be on together, two (SWG and water pump), two (water pump and heat pump). The water pump is getting old and I want to change to VSP. VSPs that I have looked at have their own built in timers Any ideas how I can wire the three elements so that the same arrangements will remain? I am worried that separate timers for SWG and VSP could risk the SWG coming on without the pump If a power cut resets the pump clock. Hope I have not confused everyone!
What pump do you have now?

Hi,
I don't have a heat pump but I have a new VSP sitting in my garage waiting to be installed when the season is over. I plan to wire the pump to the "line" side of the timer and the salt cell to the "load" side of the timer. This will give the pump power all the time and the SWG power only for a portion of the day. Alternatively, you could remove the timer pins and just leave it on all the time.

Hi,
It may be helpful to show a picture of the Timer you currently have and also remove the cover over the wiring so we can see how it is wired with the single speed pump, SWCG and heater.

Thanks for responses. I don’t use a separate timer. The DIG220 salt chlorine machine has a built in timer function that controls itself (two variable periods every 24 hours) and turns on/off the single speed pump at the same time. The air source heat pump is independent of the SWCG and turns on/off the pump when heat is needed. Have photos of the relays and switches that control all of this but it makes a labyrinth look simple. My current thinking for moving to a VSP is to disconnect the present pump wiring from the SWCG so the SWCG timer looks after just the SWCG. Then connect the VSP and ASHP to relay/switch and run the VSP 24/24. Thus, there will be flow whenever the SWCG comes on. There will be flow for the ASHP when it needs it as the pump will always be on. Might that work?

Thanks for responses. I don’t use a separate timer. The DIG220 salt chlorine machine has a built in timer function that controls itself (two variable periods every 24 hours) and turns on/off the single speed pump at the same time. The air source heat pump is independent of the SWCG and turns on/off the pump when heat is needed. Have photos of the relays and switches that control all of this but it makes a labyrinth look simple. My current thinking for moving to a VSP is to disconnect the present pump wiring from the SWCG so the SWCG timer looks after just the SWCG. Then connect the VSP and ASHP to relay/switch and run the VSP 24/24. Thus, there will be flow whenever the SWCG comes on. There will be flow for the ASHP when it needs it as the pump will always be on. Might that work?
The only fear is that the pump is on a separate circuit so if the pump does not come on (electrical failure either with the pump or the circuit) then SWCG only relies on the flow switch (I assume it has that) to know to turn or or not. Can that risk be managed?

Last edited:
I'm not very experienced, but the only setups I've seen that don't risk having the SWG on with no flow - which is considered bad - is for the same automation controls to handle both the VSP and power to the SWG. The VSPs I've seen require continuous power and accept only RS-485 control signals. If you had a pump that accepted a lines voltage on/off control, you could use that with your swg's switched circuit, but I've not seen that feature on any pump. No doubt someone will chime in with an exception, but that's what I've seen.

I'm not very experienced, but the only setups I've seen that don't risk having the SWG on with no flow - which is considered bad - is for the same automation controls to handle both the VSP and power to the SWG. The VSPs I've seen require continuous power and accept only RS-485 control signals. If you had a pump that accepted a lines voltage on/off control, you could use that with your swg's switched circuit, but I've not seen that feature on any pump. No doubt someone will chime in with an exception, but that's what I've seen.
Not sure if this would provide security against no flow to SWCG but with my present set up, if I separate wiring for a new VSP from the SWCG, I could have separate switches to SWCG and VSP protected by the same circuit breaker as well as the low flow diverter on the SWCG. if the heater and pump come from the same switch, then if the pump fails, the heater also has a no-flow protection.

Not sure if this would provide security against no flow to SWCG but with my present set up, if I separate wiring for a new VSP from the SWCG, I could have separate switches to SWCG and VSP protected by the same circuit breaker as well as the low flow diverter on the SWCG. if the heater and pump come from the same switch, then if the pump fails, the heater also has a no-flow protection.
Have another idea - since you indicate you do not have a timer. I was reading up on Jandy ePump. They have 2 relays built into motor housing for purpose of powering flow dependent equipment. I have captured parts of the pump manual for you to review. Read sections 3.5, 3.5.1, 3.5.2, 3.5.3 and look at wiring diagram. Since you are purchasing a new pump - this may give you the necessary control. I do not own a Jandy pump so my suggestion is only based on what I read in the manual. Someone with a Jandy pump may be able to provide better guidance. @1poolman1 or @ajw22

49DD6E67-9AE9-479A-B387-65E1273456E7.pngF82A5BE3-E490-4A3F-9CD1-93953BB0EAC5.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Have another idea - since you indicate you do not have a timer. I was reading up on Jandy ePump. They have 2 relays built into motor housing for purpose of powering flow dependent equipment. I have captured parts of the pump manual for you to review. Read sections 3.5, 3.5.1, 3.5.2, 3.5.3 and look at wiring diagram. Since you are purchasing a new pump - this may give you the necessary control. I do not own a Jandy pump so my suggestion is only based on what I read in the manual. Someone with a Jandy pump may be able to provide better guidance. @1poolman1 or @ajw22

View attachment 447247View attachment 447248
Thanks for the suggestion. It looked a great option and Jandy pumps are sold in Europe under Zodiac brand. It would mean that the SWCG is driven by the VSP - which is fine. The smallest Jandy pump is 2hp and my pool is about 65 m3 so a bit more powerful than needed. This might be irrelevant for slow speeds. I’ll look into prices.

Hi, Herman TX,
I meant to add: I do have a timer! The DIG220 SWCG has its own built in timer (two variable periods per day) and it controls the present single speed pump accordingly. The pump is wired from the SWCG. The VSPs that I have looked at also have built in timers. The challenge is to have pump flow at all the times when the SWCG is on, with some security that if the pump failed, the SWCG wouldn't keep trying to make Cl with no flow. The DIG220 does have a low flow detector. Hence have my idea of disconnecting the old pump from the SWCG, with the new vsp being on all the time, using its timer to program variable flows over the day, and the SWCG doing its own activities set by its timer.

Can you get the Century VGreen 165 pump in Europe? If so you can power it from the Pool Pilot relay using the same instructions for a mechanical time clock.

Looked like a great solution as it replaces an old pretty worn out pump and can be timed by the Pool Pilot. The controls look good, too. Sadly, I can’t find a European supplier. Something to put in my hand luggage on my next US trip?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.