Sweet spot in the CYA to Chlorine table?

FourReelFish

Jun 29, 2019
Florida, USA
I am aware of how stabilizer works with your sanitizer, but I was wondering what you should actually keep it at.

Higher CYA means higher Chlorine demand but less burning off, Lower CYA means lower Chlorine demand but more burnt off by the sun. We all know that.
But in your opinion, what would be the best spot to stay at, money wise?

Your "Chlorine Demand" is the amount of chlorine used up oxidizing contaminates in the water. Those contaminates can be bather sweart hair products, dust flying in, etc.

Stabilizer helps hold chlorine in the ready to work for you. Higher CYA does not mean higher demand.

For a pool in Florida we often suggest slightly higher CYAs than say, Nebraska. You get a LOT of sun, which burns off chlorine. So having a bit of extra stablizer should help hold some back in reserve.

I would strive for a CYA level of 40, with a daily FC level of 6, and then tweak from there.

Being in FL also means heavy rains which can dilute the CYA as you drain rain water out of the pool, so you have the burden/opportunity of re-doing your CYA more often than most. Reliable testing is your safety net.

Maddie :flower:

Excuse the weird semantics with my usage of chlorine demand, I meant how much more of it you'll need for it to be effective but it seems you understood so that's nice.

Thanks for the info, Maddie! I'll aim for a goal of 40 in my pool. And yes, rain has been killing ALL the progress with chemicals we've made recently. I'm no expert here but I'm learning!
Speaking of adding more stabilizer, what brand would you recommend? Is there one that is a higher quality/better for a pool?

No, I'm not terribly particular when it comes to CYA. Lowes, Home Depot, Wallyworld....they all sell it.

I'm not aware of any that dissolve any faster/slower than others, but as long as the jug says "100% cyanuric acid" I'm good. Use the sock/stocking method and give it a squeeze now and then to speed it along.

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.