Sep 20, 2021
Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello everyone,

I have an infinity spa in my pool that is getting the outside tile redone. In order for this to be done they have drained the spa so water spill over does not interfere with the process.
My question and what is worrying me:
How long is it safe for the exposed white plaster to be left unfilled? Its pretty hot in north Texas and I am worried the plaster will be damaged.
Anything I should look out for ideas to help prevent issues?
They are projecting the job to be complete within 2 days.

Thank you so much for your feedback!

Do you not have a way to prevent the flow to the spa? Does a return line go to the spa that is connected to the pool returns or does your spillover just occurs when you put it is in spillover mode. You not list any automation in your signature so hard to tell.

Also, did they only drain the spa partially or all the way? can you manually hose it a couple of times a day to keep it moist. Also, putting an umbrella up over the spa will keep direct sunlight off of it. You may need to move the umbrella as the sun moves across the sky.

Post a picture of your equipment pad.

Hello everyone,

I have an infinity spa in my pool that is getting the outside tile redone. In order for this to be done they have drained the spa so water spill over does not interfere with the process.
My question and what is worrying me:
How long is it safe for the exposed white plaster to be left unfilled? Its pretty hot in north Texas and I am worried the plaster will be damaged.
Anything I should look out for ideas to help prevent issues?
They are projecting the job to be complete within 2 days.

Thank you so much for your feedback!
National Pool Plasterer's Council gives no more than 5 days as best. As HermanTX said, try to hose it down a few times without going over the wall.

Thanks for the replies guys. This was what I was worried about. I’m at work all day while these guys are out here so I can’t keep the plaster wet or shaded. Am I doomed? I’m worried about these hairline cracks flaking off plaster in the future.
I’ve raised my concerns with the pool company.

Attachments

• 3C378AF5-39B7-4DEA-84F0-8AB6209C43A3.jpeg
    3C378AF5-39B7-4DEA-84F0-8AB6209C43A3.jpeg
    308.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 28150E16-2EB8-419A-978A-99592D44A6FF.jpeg
    28150E16-2EB8-419A-978A-99592D44A6FF.jpeg
    475.7 KB · Views: 28
  • F78C9285-FC24-4BB4-BDC9-33BF577EB7DC.jpeg
    F78C9285-FC24-4BB4-BDC9-33BF577EB7DC.jpeg
    354.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 95A0BED4-98D4-4649-9833-18799BC87F0D.jpeg
    95A0BED4-98D4-4649-9833-18799BC87F0D.jpeg
    364.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 256AC70D-B227-46AD-AB37-EC6716383CD5.jpeg
    256AC70D-B227-46AD-AB37-EC6716383CD5.jpeg
    329.6 KB · Views: 27
Hey guys,

I just had warranty work done on my negative edge spa where they had to drain it to redo some edge tile work. It’s a Spa/pool combo.

Been 3 days of work and hot sunny temps with no water in the spa and this is what I got all around the plaster. I’m calling out the pool builder to see what they are going to do about it. Any suggestions you have to build a solid case would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• A25003F9-17CD-43B9-865B-A487B8480FBD.jpeg
    A25003F9-17CD-43B9-865B-A487B8480FBD.jpeg
    354.9 KB · Views: 20
  • CC6FF71A-96BB-49B7-9ED4-089076134D36.jpeg
    CC6FF71A-96BB-49B7-9ED4-089076134D36.jpeg
    308.1 KB · Views: 20
  • F1AD32F9-D609-434C-AC42-E1472D3B308E.jpeg
    F1AD32F9-D609-434C-AC42-E1472D3B308E.jpeg
    364.6 KB · Views: 20
  • A3315CB8-A51B-40EA-8487-EECF293143E4.jpeg
    A3315CB8-A51B-40EA-8487-EECF293143E4.jpeg
    329.6 KB · Views: 19
Do you have pics of the plaster after it was drained?

unfortunately I do not. I was at work while they started. At this point the only way I'm going to know if this was pre existing is when I get it all cleaned up and filled. I do know with the spa filled with these not visible. Pre existing or not, is it something I should potentially be worried about even if they are just surface craze cracks/spider cracks? I spend so much time following the TFP method to prevent plaster issues, so this really gets me down and disappointed....

It looks like worn plaster to me.

How old is the plaster?

These types of cracks are often not visible in the water and you only see them once the plaster dries out. I would not worry about it.

In regards to a consideration of draining mine, I had consulted earlier this summer with the guy that renovated my pool 8 years ago and for what it's worth he said that any length of exposure to the sun - when the plaster is allowed to dry out - carries the risk of damage. His suggestion to me was to drain it fast preferably during a cloudy or even slightly rainy day, and then refill it fast. Different situation, of course, if work is being done. I had simply asked from the standpoint of changing the water.
can you manually hose it a couple of times a day to keep it moist
that would be ideal for sure

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wish I could be there to hose it down during the day. By the time I get home and hose it down its already been through the worst part of the heat...

They could if they cared. These are just subs that the pool builder uses and they are not supervised by the pool co. I asked the pool builder to be there and check on it.
Isn't is sad to feel like you have to burn vacation days just to supervise a company to perform the work you have paid for? I will still keep communication open with the builder and see where we go from here.

They could if they cared
Wow...unfortunately this sort of attitude is all too easily come by. Luckily in my area most local businesses, contractors, etc. have a pretty strong work ethic and want to do what's right for the customer. I sure wish you the best with it. I know what it's like to have to be at work while a job is being done at home. Used to have to send my father-in-law over to our place at times to help supervise and or make some decisions. Curious as to whether you were informed ahead of time as to having to drain the spa?

No heads up on draining the spa
Doesn't seem right. Pool looks really beautiful! Given that they drained the whole spa I assume they're doing the work from inside? Otherwise, just to do tile work at the top (I think?) it would seem reasonable that only a partial drain would be necessary. Too bad there's a group of "unsupervised" subs doing the work. Sounds like the pool company takes on too many jobs than they can realistically handle, although for contractors to sub out work is pretty routine. When I had my pool drained and renovated back in '14 it was a crew of 3-4 guys - all regular employees of a small family-owned business. Problem now is that I'm at the point where a bit of follow-up work could be done (or at least checking a few things out that concern me) but the outfit no longer services my area. So then you bring someone else in and it could wind up being a case of them saying that what was done is not how THEY do it and so here's what we'll need to do..... I have a few horror stories of work done by various people over the years. Thankfully the pool isn't one of them, although the plaster (only 8 years old) is not holding up as well as I had hoped for. I mentioned this to the guy and he said a replastering is unpredictable, that some pools "take to it" more than others (?) Not sure what to make of that. He mentioned that you can expect 10-15 years on a replastering job. Yikes. Was hopeful to maybe not even have to do this even one more time. Maybe not depending on if we downsize and move at some point.

My old coping was still in decent shape, as were most of the tiles. A bit sad to have seen them all get broken and knocked out, but I guess it's not all that desirable (or even realistically feasible) to replaster without also doing tile and coping. Gets me to thinking about it cause I'd hate to lose the coping we chose for the renovation.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.