dmgarza21

Jul 23, 2021
Fannin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I’m needing some help before I surrender to this pool! Since the epic winter freeze and crazy south Texas rain we have been unsuccessful at clearing it up. I have added algicide, granular chlorine, shock, and chlorine tablets. It simply won’t budge. We do have a perma salt system but I’m not sure if it even works.

5FE17AB7-FB45-48E6-8A5B-D558EDDA8F6B.jpeg

Attachments

• 6B057954-2989-4040-95A2-5BD857DEFB81.jpeg
    6B057954-2989-4040-95A2-5BD857DEFB81.jpeg
    266.9 KB · Views: 33
Welcome to TFP! :wave: No doubt you have algae. Two things I see right away:
1 - Test strips are horrible. You need a reliable test kit, either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C. That's a must.
2 - All those other products you added will do nothing. You need to follow the SLAM Process.

The link below is also a great resource for info. Let us know if you have questions.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Hey DM and Welcome !!! You are at a crossroads. What you’ve been doing hasn’t worked for either you or your wallet. We can help immensely with both. But you have to kinda throw out what you know as we do things differently than ‘the industry’ (who made you seek us out).

We will GLADY guide you but we need reliable test results from a kit that *notification*. Oh. Pat already beat me above. ^^^. Lol. Nice job as always @Texas Splash :)

So yeah. Think it over.

check this thread out. These are regular Joe/Jane pools maintained almost effortlessly and on the CHEAP with simple generic chems. We have an army of folks who’ll guide you there if you want to learn.

Reactions: dmgarza21
pool essentials liquid shock from Walmart or HDX chlorinating liquid at Home Depot are easiest to get for most folks. Both are in the pool aisle in the garden / outdoors-y area and both are 10%.

While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further.

While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further.
With a CYA of 111, would it be best to begin a partial drain?

We need to confirm the CYA level with your own test kit. The CYA is probably higher than what was measured, as the test maxes out at 100. If you have already ordered a test kit it should only take a couple of days to be delivered.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Got it, that was the level when I took the water sample to Leslies.
Yeah, just hang tight. While we'd love to get you going with a plan, it's best to wait on your test kit to arrive. Just add that half gallon or so to the water each day for now. Once we see your numbers, we'll get surgical on that water.

All that shock / tabs were acidic and tanked your PH. I inherited a similar low pH when we moved. It took several adds from below range to be at a readable level. Don’t be surprised if the first raising to 7.2 doesn’t work. Mix well for 30 minutes, test and add again if need be. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.