Stubborn Pool!

Possible.
But I suspect your TA is not that high. Are you following "Sometimes a static electric charge can build up on the R-0009 dropper bottle tip, causing the drops to be smaller than usual and making the test read higher than actual. You can prevent this by wiping the tip of the dropper bottle with a damp cloth or tissue before you start and after each drop."

Reactions: dmgarza21
Welcome to the forum. You're in good hands with the mods. :)
Be aware low pH, if left for long periods of time, wrinkles vinyl liners.
Only use liquid chlorine/bleach for your SLAM. Don't bother testing pH during the SLAM because it will read higher than what it is.
After the SLAM you will need to raise your pH using washing soda or borax but that is for a different day.
Good luck with the SLAM. Get some P.O.P. (pool owner patience), read up on all you need to do to be successful and get started.
We are rooting for you. You'll win the algae war using TFP. And be left with extra money in your wallet that you saved by not going to the pool store again. :party:

are the pool store test accurate at all? I’m just curious about my copper being 2 and curious if that has anything to do with my green water? I ask because my pump accidentally got unplugged for about 6-8 hours. When I looked at pool it was blue, not clear but definitely blue. Once I turned pump back on, it stirred whatever is in there and got green again. My pool doesn’t feel slimy in the least bit. Not even the floor bottom.

are the pool store test accurate at all? I’m just curious about my copper being 2
They are the most accurate we will get for metals without spending lots for lab work. 3 is usually where it may start to cause problems. Hang tight for more thoughts.

The metal tests seem to be accurate. There is no affordable home testing for those. Copper does not turn your water green. It turns your blond hair green.

The other tests from the pool store are not. Not even close to being as accurate as your own home testing with TF-100 or K2006.
Your water is cloudy and green or blue because of algae.
Cloudy or Clear Green means it's still alive.
Blue is what happens when the green is killed by the chlorine. Not algaecide. That does not kill algae and it is wasting your money to buy it at this time.
Cloudy means the dead algae is all stirred up suspended in the water waiting for it to be filtered.
"Clear-ish" with dark clumps on the bottom means dead algae is dropping on the bottom of the pool. Best way to get rid of the dead clumps is to vacuum it directly to the filter.

No magic potions. NO FLOC. NO BLUE CLARIFYING LIQUID. These will gum up your filter.
Liquid chlorine only. And only liquid chlorine.

Last edited:
The metal tests seem to be accurate. There is no affordable home testing for those. Copper does not turn your water green. It turns your blond hair green.

The other tests from the pool store are not. Not even close to being as accurate as your own home testing with TF-100 or K2006.
Your water is cloudy and green or blue because of algae.
Cloudy or Clear Green means it's still alive.
Blue is what happens when the green is killed by the chlorine. Not algaecide. That does not kill algae and it is wasting your money to buy it at this time.
Cloudy means the dead algae is all stirred up suspended in the water waiting for it to be filtered.
"Clear-ish" with dark clumps on the bottom means dead algae is dropping on the bottom of the pool. Best way to get rid of the dead clumps is to vacuum it directly to the filter.

No magic potions. NO FLOC. NO BLUE CLARIFYING LIQUID. These will gum up your filter.
Liquid chlorine only. And only liquid chlorine.
Thank you very much! I was just puzzled when the water was blue with pump off. I didn’t think algae would settle to the bottom. I have a green pool though, so what do I know. :sneaky:

Reactions: mariane
As you accurately and diligently follow the SLAM, your pool water will progress from green to cloudy blue to less cloudy blue to clear blue with dead algae clumps to sparkly TFP clear. If and only if you follow the SLAM process without taking shortcuts or not maintaining the shock level. Brush walls and bottom daily. Vacuum obvious waste.

Have you read up on the SLAM process and have you started it yet?

As you accurately and diligently follow the SLAM, your pool water will progress from green to cloudy blue to less cloudy blue to clear blue with dead algae clumps to sparkly TFP clear. If and only if you follow the SLAM process without taking shortcuts or not maintaining the shock level. Brush walls and bottom daily. Vacuum obvious waste.

Have you read up on the SLAM process and have you started it yet?
I have read it, we will be starting it this evening. I’m very excited at the thought of having a pool blue again and maintaining from here!

Reactions: mariane
I’m very excited at the thought of having a pool blue again and maintaining from here!
Not just blue, but crystal clear. Most people have no idea what their water "should" look like until they find TFP. You'll see.

full

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Great! (not sure why you're waiting but do what you can)
Keeping up the shock level overnight will be a challenge but you can get it up before bed and check again first thing in the morning. :thumleft:

What's up with that Perma Soft salt system?? Is it on or off?? Its a horrible waste of money, so go ahead and turn it off so you don't get yet more copper in that water. Copper protects from algae, but not bacteria or viruses and put you at risk for person to person transmission.

You may want to consider draining your pool down by half to lower your copper as well as helping speed up your SLAM process.

I missed it- which test kit did you get? What is the number?

Maddie :flower:

What's up with that Perma Soft salt system?? Is it on or off?? Its a horrible waste of money, so go ahead and turn it off so you don't get yet more copper in that water. Copper protects from algae, but not bacteria or viruses and put you at risk for person to person transmission.

You may want to consider draining your pool down by half to lower your copper as well as helping speed up your SLAM process.

I missed it- which test kit did you get? What is the number?

Maddie :flower:
I turned that darn perma soft thing off and plan on just removing it. I ended up with the TF-100 test kit.

Reactions: newdude and mariane

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.