Stubborn Pool!

Just FYI: after the SLAM is complete, you'll need to adjust your pH. Very low pH wrinkles vinyl liners.
Over the years, I had a real problem with this - didn't realize the importance of making the adjustments.

Reactions: dmgarza21
Me again 🤦🏻‍♀️ So I feel like we’re at a stand still. We still have the bright blue but I’m not seeing any clearing up. I have been brushing daily, backwashing as needed, my FC is at 27 and CYA steady at 60. Is there something else I should be checking?

Is there something else I should be checking?
Got stairs or a ladder ? I forget if we’ve been over it but they are notorious for hiding old algae water with poor circulation. If you have a ladder get it out and bleach the bejeezus out of it, in and out. 10:1 is plenty and more user friendly.

If you have the wedding cake steps get them to the middle and rotate them all about to flush new water in. Plus, if you flip them over it’s WAY easier to clean the underneaths/ insides / back when its the top cuz you flipped it.

other than the full algae treasure hunt, which is over pretty quick in an above ground sans water features and whatnot, It just takes time. Keep up with your brushing and stay the course. It’s depressing when the quick visible progress from the early stages wanes, but it gets us all. I promise. You got this. I promise *that* too.

Got stairs or a ladder ? I forget if we’ve been over it but they are notorious for hiding old algae water with poor circulation. If you have a ladder get it out and bleach the bejeezus out of it, in and out. 10:1 is plenty and more user friendly.

If you have the wedding cake steps get them to the middle and rotate them all about to flush new water in. Plus, if you flip them over it’s WAY easier to clean the underneaths/ insides / back when its the top cuz you flipped it.

other than the full algae treasure hunt, which is over pretty quick in an above ground sans water features and whatnot, It just takes time. Keep up with your brushing and stay the course. It’s depressing when the quick visible progress from the early stages wanes, but it gets us all. I promise. You got this. I promise *that* too.
We did take the stairs out first day. Good to know we’re still okay. Thank you!

Reactions: newdude and mariane
^^^^What Newdude said. ;)
Also, are you keeping the FC at shock level at all times or as best as you can?
Are you vacuuming or just brushing?
My experience has been to vacuum the settled algae directly into the filter using a manual vacuum. Then brush AFTER that. The cloudy water is the dieing algae floating around. It takes a long time for sand filters to filter it out but the manual vacuuming the visible dead algae off the bottom seems to make it go a little quicker.

Last edited:
^^^^What Newdude said. ;)
Also, are you keeping the FC at shock level at all times or as best as you can?
Are you vacuuming or just brushing?
My experience has been to vacuum the settled algae directly into the filter using a manual vacuum. Then brush AFTER that. The cloudy water is the dieing algae floating around. It takes a long time for sand filters to filter it out but the manual vacuuming the visible dead algae off the bottom seems to make it go a little quicker.
You also can add DE to the sand filter but you'll have to babysit it as it'll give you a pressure rise quickly as it traps more algae. At that point you'll need to backwash again and add the DE in too.
Add DE to a Sand Filter - Trouble Free Pool

Reactions: newdude and mariane
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.