Apr 9, 2019
Houston
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi everyone,
A new pool owner, learning all I can from TFP. Initial issues a little over week ago were 0 FC's and high CYA. I believe, and I use "believe" cautiously that I was able to rebalance, lower CYA and keeping FC where it should be. I have not done SLAM, yet since I am still monitoring and testing.

I stopped using the 3" pucks and using liquid chlorine. The sun eats up FC so I am guessing that's why my FC will drop from one day to the next since the day before was sunny all day and sun directly on my water. I have about 6 hours of direct sun on my pool daily. Is it normal for FC to drop daily? Am I correct that I need to add chlorine daily or multiple times a week based on my FC/CYA to keep them in balance? I now use pool math and FC/CYA chart. How often should I test my water.

Yesterday I noticed small white patches floating on the water. Not a lot, maybe five. They look like snow flakes or small feathers but quickly dissolve when touched. What is this and should I be concerned?

The pool is currently clean and clear. I jumped in again today, 2nd day in a row and starting to feel better about using the pool.

Thank you

Reactions: splashpad
Hello Silva...

It is normal for your FC to drop daily ... especially in the South. With about 6 hours of direct sunlight, we are talking about 4-5ppm (give or take). However, what is your CYA level? You need to add chlorine (I would think daily) in the South. It's kind of hard to tell what's going on with your pool without some readings. Do you have your own test kit and if so, could you taking the following readings (FC, CC, pH, CYA, TA. CH. This would give us a better understanding of your current pool chemistry.

Thanks. appreciate the responses and links. I know I'll get better at remembering these links as I make it part of my routine to maintain the pool better.

It's good to know/understand that FC can/will drop daily so I need to check daily and adjust accordingly with CYA level. I need to stock up on DPD since I used up quite a bit that came with my test kit, as i kept testing to see if I was successful in lowering the CYA. Mendy48 I do have a Taylor k2006c kit. I received it April 10 and have used it quite a bit since. This is when i discovered my FC was 0 and my CYA was 90. I have since drained water, added liquid chlorine and am feeling a bit more confident/optimistic that I have been able to lower CYA to what's now between the 40-50 mark. FC has also been a bit better as well. Now that I am understanding these levels, I need to monitor the others as well.

Saturday's 4/20 8:30 am numbers: I input into poolmath and added recommended chlorine amount.
FC - 5
PH - 7.8
TA - 110
CH - 350
CYA - between 50-60 mark

Sunday, 4/21 @ 3:17 pm, mid peak of the sun directly on pool, FC 6 / CYA still mid point 40-50. I added about 53oz of chlorine.

I also did an Overnight FC Test, Sat 4/20 night - Sun 4/21 early am. FC dropped 1 ppm / CYA - between 40-50 mark. Based on this, I think my water is good, but again I am still new at this and closely monitoring.

thanks again, everyone on this site has been awesome!!!!!

With your CYA at 45ppm, you'll need to read it as 50. Tube scale for CYA measurement is logarithmic. So round up. Use CYA of 50.

With a CYA of 50, maintain your FC level at a target range of 6-8. Right now, your FC level is below target range. Try to stay within the Target range. I have my CYA at 50 as well, but my FC is at 8..maybe 1 or 2 ppm higher. It's just my preference. Nevertheless, try to stay within your target range. Your overnight test came out good too. Your FC only went down by 1.0 or less, and therefore the water is clean. There isn’t any living algae or other organic contamination in the pool.

Good Job!!!

Reactions: splashpad
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.