Spring Conversion Baquacil to Chlorine

I checked for salt content in my pool just for grins because of the articles that I have read on TFP. My salt level is 1100 ppm!

This is very cool! Will be already prepped to install my SWG.
Nice work with your conversion, well done.

I suspect that you have also been adding salt over the years with muriatic acid additions (I guess that is still required with a Bacqua pool?). Otherwise 1100ppm does look a bit high with just the chlorine from the conversion. That would have required nearly 700ppm worth of bleach, or about 45 times adding 15ppm.

Reactions: SunnyDayz4US
All kidding aside, you guys and gals (TFP FAMILY) have been amazing through this process. I was overwhelmed by the thought of taking on all of this before It was started. The more info I gained and with the help/confidence of the TFP crew, I really enjoyed truly getting to know what it takes to take care of a pool. I’m a number’s and diy guy, point me that direction of the unknown and I’m not afraid, just a little push and boost as I go along and I will get it done! To me,it has been very educational and now, as new issues arise, not much will bother me with you guys at my back! I hope in return, I can help spread the new found knowledge and also help someone out down the road to TFP clear!

Thank you!
👃

Nice work with your conversion, well done.

I suspect that you have also been adding salt over the years with muriatic acid additions (I guess that is still required with a Bacqua pool?). Otherwise 1100ppm does look a bit high with just the chlorine from the conversion. That would have required nearly 700ppm worth of bleach, or about 45 times adding 15ppm.
Thank You,

I have only had this pool for one season and did not ever have to add muriatic acid because my PH was never high so I’m really not sure of the history of the pool which is 6 or 7 years old now. I think the original owners used chlorine and had switched to Baquacil at some point because of skin sensitivity. I do know that I am very particular taking care of things and I fought the Baq the entire season. The pink slime (visibly only in small amounts) never would completely go away! I also know that even during this process of the conversion to chlorine, there has continuously been small pieces of gunk come out and into the pool. Most likely had the pipes SLIMED over! I read a lot of stories of people that say they had ok experience with it for a few years (this pool was waaaay overdue for the switch) and then goes bad. I personally will never use it again!
Not short, but the shortest of the story is that I do not know what has been done to it over the years and it will be a TFP chlorine pool fron now on as long as I own it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude and Casey

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was overwhelmed by the thought of taking on all of this before It was started.
So, my favorite part of a slam, is actually the slam-ee. The SLAM is crash course at the chemistry school of hard knocks, and you now have an advanced degree in FC monitoring in just a few days. The rest of the testing will be a joke to do, and much easier to learn.

My 2nd favorite part is that you know *exactly* what needs doing, if you were to slack on that FC monitoring.

6as5h1.jpg

Reactions: SunnyDayz4US
I do not know what has been done to it over the years and it will be a TFP chlorine pool fron now on as long as I own it.
That sums it up. You probably don't want to know what has been done to the pool over the years. All that matters is that you are taking good care of it now. Bit like a rescue dog...

So now that the conversion is done tell us a bit about that cute doggy!!!
Actually, he my son’s dog and he’s a rescue dog. He’s a shedder and I have to admit early on that I had a hard time with him since my son would bring him over a lot. I’m a little particular about my house and dog hair doesn’t fit in, soooooo ……. we learned to keep him cut short and he’s been beyond a dream of support for my son during a time of more family loss over the past few years than I would want to explain. I learned to love him because of how much he loves my son! He’s very smart and a great dog and now my little buddy!
“Bentley” is Life Support! (y)

Hi Bentley! You lucky doggy and son to have you!

Does he get in the pool? If so or even just because you should get some hair nets from Amazon to put over your skimmer baskets. You will very surprised how much stuff they catch!
Thank you so much,
Cut short and groomed often, he doesn’t shed too much and he only gets into the pool by accident! Maybe a couple of times. LOL
I do need to pick up some of those off of Amazon , sounds like they work great!

hair nets from Amazon to put over your skimmer baskets
Maybe its just me, but this the the best piece of advise i have learned in here(among many others). It never occurred to me, even though i have them on my head most of the days while in surgery. :hammer:

• Haha
Reactions: kimkats
Todays big update! I got my Circupool RJ-45+ SWG installed and everything’s working. My salt is a little low and CYA needs to be brought up to start operating the SWG. My salt level is 3K and CYA 30 so I need to get a few more bags of salt and CYA add to be safe and not over do it, I was thinks targeting around 60 for now. That seem logical or target and add for 70 / 80?
I have 4 lb’s of dry CYA left. I do not want to overshoot CYA!
Thoughts?

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.