Spring Conversion Baquacil to Chlorine

Sunday evening I pulled the solar cover back and took out the pool light to clean the light cavity real good. There were Baqua goo and remnants still in the light cavity which could explain some of the overnight loss of FC.
After cleaning the bigger remnants circulating around the pool, I left it to filter for several hours and at 11:30 raised FC level back to 15, checked again at midnight to confirm FC 15 and today 6Am tested water twice with FC 14 and FC 14.5!

I went back through the pics and didn't see a ladder but wanted to make sure there is none, or it's been pulled, drained and cleaned also.

Reactions: SunnyDayz4US
FYI - the old filter sand is usable anywhere in the yard you have room for it … fill sand, flower beds, etc. There’s no reason to dispose of it in the trash …

I did pull the ladder and will clean it and let it sit out for a few days. Good to know also on the sand. I have plenty of flower beds and etc…
Always good info here!

Reactions: newdude
FYI - the old filter sand is usable anywhere in the yard you have room for it … fill sand, flower beds, etc. There’s no reason to dispose of it in the trash …
Ok, so overnight I had a FC loss of between .5 and 1, I have my sand, shop vac, I have CYA, I have a partly cloudy day and I have time to change the sand in my filter. FC was around 11 a bit ago due to sun loss. Should I run filter and raise FC back up since I will have all shut down to change sand or just DO IT already?

I am soooo ready for my TFP!!! :party:

You’ve passed the OCLT, nows the time to replace the sand. Clean that out THEN add your CYA to 30ppm. Keep your FC at 15 until you test your CC level. Once your CC’s are staying below 0.5ppm then you can let the chlorine level drop to normal levels.

Up to you. It's not like an algae fight where the algae growing exponentially will gain ground when you pause. You will just pick up where you left off.

Sand in filter is done! Wow, that was tedious. Any recommended CYA starting points for this evening with my FC at 3? I can read the pool math calc’s so no wise cracks please, its been a long day:D Just seems to be an important piece of the TFP puzzle that you don’t want to over do. I have dry stabilizer (100% CYA) so just a starting point for now would be good. Everything’s been spot on so far, don’t want to dumb up the system!:cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Things I’ve learned about CYA…it takes at least1/2 hour soak before it starts to really dissolve. You can, if you want, start squeezing bag after 1/2 hour, won’t hurt you. I’ve been known to sit there for 1/2 hour massaging the sock to get it to dissolve (after it soaked 1/2 hour). Or just leave it alone and it will dissolve on its own. Depending on brand, can take a while. After it is dissolved, wait about 48 hrs to retest. If you test right away, it can test low. Ask me how I know…(I tested too quick and added more. Wanted 40, ended up with 60).

Last edited:
Old stuff is new again...from 2013 :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.