Spillover Spa Left Incomplete, Can I Finish It?

May 12, 2015
Raleigh, NC
I've been using a company to add a spillover spa to my pool but it seems that they are unable to finish the project so I'm looking for advice to see if I am able to finish it. I have some calls in to see if I can find someone else to do the work, but if I can't get someone to do the work I'm hoping I might be able to do it myself.

1. The biggest issue is the light conduit they put in is leaking from the sides. I also attempted to run a light through it and I think it isn't wide enough (unless I am doing something wrong - I am using a Jandy Nichless light and ran the cord through and then tried pushing it in, wouldn't go in at all). They came back and sprayed it with something that worked for about 5 mins and then water started spraying out (see below image).

IMG_20191225_133007.jpg
And a view before they sprayed the extra stuff over it:
IMG_20191215_143818.jpg

Here is what the inside looks like, the light conduit is at the very bottom left.
IMG_20191223_093326.jpg IMG_20191225_133852.jpg

I am thinking I'll need to completely remove the current conduit and put a new one in, but please let me know your thoughts here. Also, it seems like the placement is very low, do that seem right for a light or should it be higher? If I were to completely replace it (or if there's a better option) what would I use to do that?

2. The other issue I'm having is with the jets. They are running off of my VS pump (no extra booster or anything) and some of them are not working. I am wondering if they plumbed it in incorrectly or if it's an issue with the jets - the jets closest to the center put out the most water, then on the left side the next 2 don't work at all and on the right side the next one has a bit less than the first and the last has less than the 2nd if that makes sense.

MVIMG_20191226_135927.jpgIMG_20191215_125725.jpg

I'd really appreciate any help/suggestions on what to do! I'm pretty handy but have not done much work with PVC so I am not sure what parts etc I'd need to make sure this is done correctly and won't leak in the future.

Thanks!!

Hi and welcome to TFP! I have a couple of questions that might help others dial in their help.

-This is a fiberglass spa? (Wanting to make sure.
-Where the holes already in it or did they have to be cut in?
-Do the jet holes leak at all?
-Is the spa going to stay where it is? Is it going to be buried at all?

Can you show where the jet pipes go into the spa and where they end? Are there any valves any where to help control the jets?

Is there a bottom drain in the spa? (this will send the water back to the filter)

Okay guys lets see what we can do for them @ajw22 @jimmythegreek @Pool Clown
@bdavis466 any one else that might be able to help them.

Kim

Sure, answers below:
- Yes it's a fiberglass spa - Viking Shasta Spillover to be exact Spas - Viking Pool
- The holes had to be cut in, they just got the shell
- As far as I can tell the jet holes do not leak, it's possible one has a drip on the outside but definitely not anything major
- The spa is actually buried a bit already, the pictures are deceiving (although it isn't buried a ton), I can get a better image of how much it's buried in the morning. Do you think it should be buried more?

For the jet pipes I'm not sure I fully understand what you're looking to see but I'll take some pictures in the morning and hopefully it will make sense. There aren't any valves to help control the jets.

Yes I believe both of the things in the bottom are drains and only return water back, as far as I can tell the jets are the only thing that bring water in but I can test again if you think that'd be good to do. I can definitely return water to the filter from the spa though and run it where it's spa only mode or overflow.

Thanks!!

Do you think it should be buried more?
I don't know if it should be or not. I do think you should check to make sure it is going to stay where it is with NO chance of any kind of movement. I worry about people sitting on the edge and "rocking the boat". If that happens the pipes could break :(

'm not sure I fully understand what you're looking to see
I am looking for where the pipe comes up from the filter and into the spa THEN where it goes from there.

So you think the thing that sticks out that looks like it has a "cage" over it is a drain to take the water back to the filter?

What are you going to put around the tub to "finish" it up?

Kim:kim:

I don’t think a fiberglass pool like that can be left with the walls not supported. It is designed to be buried and have backfill around the walls to support the weight of the water. The way it is now I think the walls will bulge and crease over time and the spa will become unstable and dangerous.

Okay I just looked at the link and it does show some that are above ground BUT they have stone walls around them that are tied into the deck. I did ask in my above post about the outside covering plans. Of course the plumbing and such has to be work out before you can do anything else.

Do you have any idea what the installers that quit had planned?

Ah yes once the plumbing is fixed the plan is to add more gravel around the base to make sure it's locked in place and then add stone around the sides/top. I actually have a stone guy and I know he will be laying blocks for the stone, not sure if the plan would be to fill gravel between that and the spa or not, any idea how I'd find out if that's necessary?

And yep those caged things are the returns. Going into the spa it's a pipe with a T that goes left and right and directly to the jets. I'll get a picture to hopefully show that off a bit more.

Okay so ONE pipe comes up behind the spa from the equipment pad correct? It connects to a T between the 6 (?) jets. Let me know if I got the layout correct please.

I see the ends of the hoses just laying free under the spillover part of the spa. Do they have caps on them? I just reread what you wrote about the jets and it seems like I have that part correct. I would take them all off on the side of the two that do not work and see if there is any blockage or see if the jets can be "turned off" in some way (turning them so they are closed???).

Light-my gut says take it all out and start all over again. I think the light is best there so no one will lean any part of their body on it. Use great care when cutting all of that stuff they glopped on it. You do not want to bugger up the hole any worse than it is. Once you have it all scrapped off share a picture of how they did it.

Your stone guy-has he done anything like this before? If so ask him if he can be of any help.

Kim:kim:

Check to be sure the light niche used was for a fiberglass shell. Should have gaskets, etc. The pipe used is not electrical conduit like mine and thus I wonder if it was rigged up without using the proper parts.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here's a couple more pictures of how the pipes come to the spa. The one with the T goes directly to the jets, the other one wraps around to the drains. Yes the hose ends have caps, so when running all of the water goes to the jets and doesn't appear to be leaking out anywhere.

For the light niche, any idea what would be the proper fittings to use if I were to remove the current one and try it myself?

IMG_20191228_095846.jpgIMG_20191228_095826.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20191228_095846.jpg
    IMG_20191228_095846.jpg
    443.3 KB · Views: 0
Check to be sure the light niche used was for a fiberglass shell. Should have gaskets, etc. The pipe used is not electrical conduit like mine and thus I wonder if it was rigged up without using the proper parts.
Do you have the paperwork for the light? If not then do a search for your light and find the installation manual and see what it says.

Jets-look inside them and see if they move at all to shut off or open up the flow of water coming out of them.

Jandy nichless light is installed using standard 1 1/2" return fittings.

Jandy nichless light manual here —> https://www.jandy.com/-/media/zodiac/global/downloads/h/h0532600.pdf?force=1

Depending on the model it needs 3” to 14” of straight 1.5” pvc as the niche.

That putty is not possibly correct for sealing the light niche pipe. I don’t know what gaskets and fittings are appropriate for sealing pvc pipe to a new hole in fiberglass but ur is not putty.

The gasket should be on the faceplate and then silicone on back to seal to fiberglass. You can use 3m 5200 to seal the back up also. I cant say I've seen an install like this I would think the shell needs support around it but maybe not with a circular design. The one I've installed was set on a concrete pad way above the pool and surrounded by boulders using rocks to waterfall the water down to pool. That unit came pre plumbed to us with a 3" feed line and used an air feed as well
What I do know is the jets will never work right the way its plumbed. The line is too long and not big enough to feed those fittings evenly. Is that 2" pipe feeding that first T to the spa or 1.5" pvc? There is no gravel or concrete footing under it either. Im guessing this type of work is new to these pool guys

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.