Some questions for AGP opening...

Newerabs

Jul 22, 2015
Eaton Rapids
On Saturday I'm planning on opening my pool. This is the first year I've had a heavy duty winter cover (I live in Michigan) and also the first year I'm not going to drain the pool completely and then fill it back up. Needless to say I'm expecting a swamp when I open it up, so I have a few questions.

If it's a green swamp do I still need to get levels using my Taylor test kit? I'm going to assume it has no FC but will I still need to test the PH and CYA levels?

Obviously I'll need to skim debris out and vacuum as best as I can but then after that just start the SLAM process?

Test your CYA and pH. If very green and the CYA tests 0, run the ammonia protocol.
To check and defeat ammonia, if necessary, is to raise your FC in the water using enough liquid chlorine to get to 10 ppm using PoolMath. Circulate the pool for 15 minutes. Test FC and CC. If CC is very high, post up here as draining the pool may be a better option.

If things are fine, get your CYA to 30 ppm and SLAM, if necessary.

You'd be surprised how a solid cover helps. Keeps out the sun. I opened Saturday and water was 60. No visible algae. I did use algeacide at closing. Knew I would not get to open because of daughter graduating college Mother's Day weekend. Been that way for the last three years, away for the weekend & driving back home at the end of the school year. 1200 miles, can't have her doing that alone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.