So this happened

Does the drain strip you are considering have a top cap that clips off for cleanout?
Yes.
Some strip drain tops cannot be removed and over time they clog from dirt on them and are impossible to clean out.
I was thinking about clogging with slush and then freezing solid like the house gutters do every year for a month. Possibly ruining wither the drains or the pipe away.

I was thinking about clogging with slush and then freezing solid like the house gutters do every year for a month. Possibly ruining wither the drains or the pipe away.

That time you should have a cover on the pool that will divert water away.

Reactions: newdude
Road tested the patches. The one by the stairs drains well now. The window well and the puddle are only half better. An improvement, but not enough. I got in touch with the cement guy and he said he usually has enough to do at the job that he can wait the hour for it to dry to test it. (He tested it the same way I did to prove it in the first place). He was happy to come back and add more.

I got to pick his brain about the pavers / sand and he said that next to no water will get under them. He said he'd cement the liner track in place and feather it back a little, just in case.

In an unrelated related turn of events I had a guest over who saw the project and said that patio guy did his and a dozen others he knew and they were all great years later. He was sure the hiccups would be figured out. It was nice to hear, not that it means anything.

Welp. If the paver bundles hold true to the traditional stacks of bricks, there is 16.5 tons of bricks sitting 'round back.

20220813_141434.jpg

I sealed under the liner track with heavy duty construction adhesive. The cement guy covered it and feathered it and it's redirecting the water out the sides now.

20220813_122544.jpg

The pavers will likely still dump rain into the pool, but if any water gets below the pavers, it won't float the liner.

The cement guy also added more to the window well and low spot by the stairs so they drain too.

Monday starts the bricks.

Newdude, since the lower decking is a settled matter now, and you talk about the watershed from the top of pavers, they can tailor that a bit with the paver set leading up to the pool by a elevation adjustment at the pool for the ends of their sand guides. In other words, a good paver set craftsman can build in some drainage off the base.

Hope I don't have to buy more chips, surely this should go without fault.
What you speak of is known as the law of infinite probability. It basically states that with an infinite amount of tries, an infinite amount of results are possible.

And, yeah. I also believe we have exhausted the infinite possible outcomes and the only one left for the patio guy is getting it right the first time. :ROFLMAO:

And, yeah. I also believe we have exhausted the infinite possible outcomes and the only one left for the patio guy is getting it right the first time. :ROFLMAO:

And the odds of winning the Powerball are????

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Got my perimeter spruced up a lil. I used some of my 3500(?) leftover bricks to make a border. Then I went to town with mulch.

Screenshot_20220814-214056_Gallery.jpg

20220814_160510.jpg

I started using fill to try and get a better line through the back wall roller coaster but it was killing all the progress. It's going to have to follow the lay of the land for this season.

20220814_161501.jpg

I got a little sloppy in the heat yesterday too, but when I went inside to see how it looked, I couldn't even see it waaaaaaaay over there. So that can wait as well.

20220814_161543.jpg

@Newdude and @Casey will need to share some back treatments.
Stretching and deep breathing also helps relieve back and body strain. @Newdude Not sure if you know this but cardboard makes a great weed barrier! I've been collecting it since I found out how well it does as a weed barrier and it's biodegradable. It also helps the soil because the worms can eat it too. You just lay it over the grass, you don't have to remove any grass. I went through 10 yards of mulch that I had delivered. I have 10 more yards still sitting in my driveway. My fiasco derailed me for a moment on landscaping. When you see weeds popping up, clear the mulch away and reapply cardboard and add more mulch. There's your landscaping tip of the day.

Not sure if you know this but cardboard makes a great weed barrier
I did not, and THANKS. Lord knows I could pave the acre in Chewy boxes, weekly.
I had started pulling all the grass/weeds and it wasn't bad on the sandy side. Once it was mostly dirt it became a much bigger to do in order to cut back 3 ft on that side. So I cheated with ground clear / roundup and covered it in mulch.

But if anything comes back, it's getting Chewy boxes. (y)

Reactions: Casey
That’s a cool tip! The garden beds look great! I’ve done that a couple of times but not that long of a run!

I currently have long runs of 4x4s and railroad ties for the beds in my yard. They definitely need to be redone with brick or actual edging.

Reactions: newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.