So this happened

Just so we're clear, you only have to pave a few more feet to our house so then our kids can run back and forth, right?
Funny story about that.......... it's gonna be true. 🤦‍♂️ But I won't have to lift a finger and will be sipping lemonade the whole time so :party:

So I needed some help grading and I don't even know how much topsoil but it was alot. I called a neighbor over who is a landscaper to do the heavy work figuring I'd pay a couple thousand to jump start the process. Unbeknownst to me, the neighbor does alot of hardscapes too. It will cost similar to revive the old patio as it will to replace it, rather, it will cost way more than I want to spend on an old already weathered patio.

So. New patio from house to pool and a decent walking strip for the pool perimeter. 5ft on the shallow side and back and 9 ft on the deep end side for the diving board.

He's coming back in a couple days for a full quote.

That sure does make it easy to decide what to do!!!
I had prepared my self for $25k to put the backyard back together with me doing a considerable amount of pitching in. The current prices weren't nearly as bad as I was expecting and can stay in the ballpark of my budget.

This guy does what equates to a concrete patio and then puts the pavers on that. The concrete can crack and the pavers stay put. The overdig area gets rebar-ed into the pool shell and when there is some settling, it holds itself up. So it alleviated all my concerns with the last paver patio and the cost wasn't excessive.

I started cutting down the house side patio which is 40 foot long with the pool and 30 ft in between. That 1200 Sq foot alone is pretty much the budget, but the patio doors and pool stairs are on the shallow side and although the price was nice going down to 20 ft wide, I'd have alot of grass between the pool and house and we'd be looking out from the dinner table at half a patio. So. You can't take it with you, right ? :ROFLMAO:

General plan is like this. 40x30 between house and pool, 5 ft walk way left side and back side and 9 foot wide on the deep end for the diving board. Dark gray / charcoal border and bull nose coping and a lighter gray with the multi sized pavers.

Screenshot_20220702-210119_Gallery.jpg

And my kids can step off the back of the patio and high five @Snoobug 's kids if they do the same at their house in Iowa.

I LOVE IT!!!! The bench in the deep end... ❤️
I compromised that, taking valuable deep end space away. for the small shallow end I refused to expand. Then I had them add 2 feet to make it 8 foot wide and it's HUGE. I can sit like a lounger all stretched out and 2 more people can sit regular. Or 5 people can sit comfortably dangling in the deep end. I didn't think I was going to like it (and didnt need to under 'happy wife' laws) but I do really like it.

• Love
Reactions: Snoobug
I was excited about my excavation too, but then 9 months later I'm bitter, unexcited by progress, and just want my Dang PB to finish the pool. 😢

I hope your experience is better than mine!

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
So Neighbor guy came back for measurements and 1800 Sq ft of pavers over concrete will solve my various issues between different patios and different heights. Plus it will look a heckuva lot nicer than having 2 mismatched patios. It was surprisingly/happily only over budget by the amount I am expanding the house patio. Currently it is 10 ft shorter than the width of the house, missing a strip on either side and the old patio has a 3 ft gap at the house that was a flowerbed until our dogs moved in.

@Snoobug, I'm gonna need to borrow some of your backyard if that's OK. Can you return some of your patio ? You can use mine for free cuz were friends. 😁

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had prepared my self for $25k to put the backyard back together with me doing a considerable amount of pitching in. The current prices weren't nearly as bad as I was expecting and can stay in the ballpark of my budget.

This guy does what equates to a concrete patio and then puts the pavers on that. The concrete can crack and the pavers stay put. The overdig area gets rebar-ed into the pool shell and when there is some settling, it holds itself up. So it alleviated all my concerns with the last paver patio and the cost wasn't excessive.

I started cutting down the house side patio which is 40 foot long with the pool and 30 ft in between. That 1200 Sq foot alone is pretty much the budget, but the patio doors and pool stairs are on the shallow side and although the price was nice going down to 20 ft wide, I'd have alot of grass between the pool and house and we'd be looking out from the dinner table at half a patio. So. You can't take it with you, right ? :ROFLMAO:

General plan is like this. 40x30 between house and pool, 5 ft walk way left side and back side and 9 foot wide on the deep end for the diving board. Dark gray / charcoal border and bull nose coping and a lighter gray with the multi sized pavers.

View attachment 431497

And my kids can step off the back of the patio and high five @Snoobug 's kids if they do the same at their house in Iowa.
Great layout. Everyone always said to go bigger on the deck/patio than you'd think is necessary. After we expanded our planned area, I have to agree. You'll always find uses for it.

Reactions: Casey and Newdude
What type of pavers?

I recommend either Carrara or Calacatta marble pavers as they are very nice.
I think he’s going for the very fine “Portland” version extruded from an exclusive quarry that only supplies certain retailers such as
The Home Depot…

Everyone always said to go bigger on the deck/patio than you'd think is necessary.
It's ridiculous and never-ending. You can put in enough patio for a full court basketball game and 2 extra teams show up and have to wait. :ROFLMAO:

Won't he need to rob a bank first?
If he comes to PA to rob it, I'll make sure he gets an extra tray on chicken patty day but he's getting smoked on Appalachian Stew Day. My dogs wouldn't even eat that. Dinty Moore is gourmet compared to that... uhhh... stuff. :mrgreen: I'll make sure you get clean set ups once a week but if you spill your coffee in your cot... you better have a wash basin or you'll be washing your set up in the jawn. 🚽

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.