So many questions. Drowning and discouraged

Sep 20, 2022
Orange Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Desperate need of help. I have a couple questions and need all tips u have.
Backstory: Few weeks ago we got a new liner. As the pool was filling we saw the water coming out was brown. City water. Not well. Installer said to level the chemistry and run filter 24/7 a few days and we would be clear

Did that. It didn’t clear. Shocked it. Not clear. Metal out. Nothing. Tests for chemistry are all in range. Even the iron test showed zero. Used socks on returns and poly fill in skinner for weeks. They were turning brown but nothing was changing overall in the pool

So we flic’s it. Now it’s all on the bottom.

1. If the particles were too small for the filter take remover after running 24/7 for weeks, would they be larger and heavier now so I can vacuum through filter?

2. Better to vacuum to waste? And how do I do that? I tried last night and couldn’t tell that it was vacuuming only that a TON of water went to waste before I got very far.

3. Is this the beast tool to use to vacuum it?

4. Should I try to vacuum through the filter and add socks on the returns again?

5. Do I turn off the skimmer not connected to the vacuum hose and the main drain?

6. Do I backwash first, last, and do I open the valve going out to waste when I backwash and rinse?

After crying in frustration last night, I’m back today begging for help and willing to try again. I am having such a hard time learning to do this while fixing the issue. Not even sure if I am posting int the right thread. I may resort to posting in multiple. B0132AB6-6619-4E94-8BF3-C2D97C29F84B.jpeg2647DDB2-77F8-4983-83A4-78164EE27282.jpegACBB258C-A142-4AB2-8B5D-F59F5C121692.jpegEDD1E432-8A1A-400E-8959-4EA28A18A8D9.jpeg7DA226C5-4A4A-482B-964F-AE1B7889B480.jpeg35D2078E-4164-4B1E-AB1B-6BC7822049AA.jpeg68372DC5-477E-4AB8-BF65-C2F6ACA1BBAB.jpeg

if you floc'd it, don't filter. vacuum to waste and continue to do so until you're confident it's as out as it can be. Your manual vac is definitely the best tool right now. I'll let others try to diagnose the main issue, but what you've done appears to have helped

if you floc'd it, don't filter. vacuum to waste and continue to do so until you're confident it's as out as it can be. Your manual vac is definitely the best tool right now. I'll let others try to diagnose the main issue, but what you've done appears to have helped
I’m not sure if my response went to you. New here. Is this vacuum head ok to use on liner pools??

Someone a lot more knowledgeable will be along to help you soon.
Need a pic of the vacuum head so we know which one you're using. It looks like it's doing a good job though.
Sand filter will take longer to clear the water but since you've flocced you do need to vacuum.
I'd be concerned about refilling after vacuuming to waste. If the city water put this in, do you have another source of water? You don't want to put the same stuff you just cleaned up back in the pool.

Someone a lot more knowledgeable will be along to help you soon.
Need a pic of the vacuum head so we know which one you're using. It looks like it's doing a good job though.
Sand filter will take longer to clear the water but since you've flocced you do need to vacuum.
I'd be concerned about refilling after vacuuming to waste. If the city water put this in, do you have another source of water? You don't want to put the same stuff you just cleaned up back in the pool.
I bought an in line filter for future fill ups. Thanks so much!

Since you have a filter, keep vacuuming to waste. How do you hook up the vacuum? Do you have a vacuum port or is it through the skimmer?
I see you've gotten most of it down to the deep end. That's great!
BTW, I LOVE your new liner.

See if you can *ever so gently* brush it to a general area. It may poof a little but give it a few minutes and it will settle again. If you can get the bulk of it out quickly only vac-ing one spot, then you won't need alot of fill water to replace it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The vac head is fine. It is not the one I would use (a brush model brushes, as well has less of a chance of sucking to the floor) but it is fine to use

To help us figure out your vac issues, please tell us how your pool is configured and what you are doing to set up your vac

You may also consider using a slime bag - Home - The Slime Bag I would vacuum to waste fist, otherwise with that much stuff you are going to clog up the bag, but the bag will help remove the last of it.

Not sure why your city water was like there, but around here they flush the fire hydrants every so often, and when they do ours gets all discolored as well (I filled my hot tub with it once)

Not sure why your city water was like there, but around here they flush the fire hydrants every so often, and when they do ours gets all discolored as well (I filled my hot tub with it once)
I was thinking the same thing - you may want to just flush your water source for a few minutes next time before you attempt to fill again, the sediment/discoloration may have been a temporary thing.

+2. And do your best not to do laundry, run the dishwasher, take showers, etc when filling. Many (not new) homes can knock sediment loose by running multiple legs at a time.

Reactions: Dumbledork2007
The vac head is fine. It is not the one I would use (a brush model brushes, as well has less of a chance of sucking to the floor) but it is fine to use

To help us figure out your vac issues, please tell us how your pool is configured and what you are doing to set up your vac

You may also consider using a slime bag - Home - The Slime Bag I would vacuum to waste fist, otherwise with that much stuff you are going to clog up the bag, but the bag will help remove the last of it.

I wound up vacuuming to waste. I got a filter to put at the end of the water hose to filter new water going in. Took multiple times to refill then send to waste but I finally have beautiful clear water. The vac issues turns out was from the pump not priming because the o ring needed replacing. Once that was done it was a breeze.

Since you have a filter, keep vacuuming to waste. How do you hook up the vacuum? Do you have a vacuum port or is it through the skimmer?
I see you've gotten most of it down to the deep end. That's great!
BTW, I LOVE your new liner.
Was using the skimmer route. Turns out I need a new o ring so my pump would prime. Took many times to fill and vac to waste but I finally got it done and the water is so pretty now. And thanks very much! It's such a deep blue liner.

If you think any of that floc got in the filter you need to deep clean it, at the very least or replace the sand.
Floc really gums up your sand.

Reactions: newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.