SLAMming Confused: Deal w CYA First? What is “SLAM Level”?

Is there a point in this process where I can expect to see that things are improving?
Yes, you will see a gradual improvement. One way to judge progress is to put your pole with brush in the water and take a picture everyday with pole and camera in the same spots. Post a picture of your pool today.

You didn't put your filter in your signature...what kind of filter do you have? Make/Model?

I will say, this is the point that you need pool owner patience. It may take a week, maybe more. But it will get there, proof...Link-->How Clear is TFP Clear?

Just logged test and added 3.75 quarts of chlorine. I’m also running the robot vac.

Other than cleaning the robot filter and waiting an hour to testing again is there anything else I should be doing?

I tried using our Pool Blaster but it’s just sucking in the algae and spitting it right back out, so I stopped.

Should I sweep the algae from the shallow end to the deep end? Anything else?

Visually, the pool is worse now than last night, as I can no longer see the bottom.

Thanks.
As you brush & kill it's going to look worse but then that starts to shift as the filter catches it. The more yucky you can make it brushing the better for the filter to get it.

Reactions: stretchphoto
Sticking with the program.

I was pretty down last night bc I’m simply not seeing visible results, though the FC is very close to the 20ppm indicated for SLAM.

Can’t see bottom of the deep end at all, nor the shallow end clearly. Continuing to vac, sweep and run the robot.

Is there a point in this process where I can expect to see that things are improving?

Thanks.
Don't get down on yourself or the process. We know it works and unfortunately, every pool acts differently. It is best to take pictures each day, then you can go back 2-3 days and see the progress. Think of it like watching grass grow. You can't see the 24 hr change but you can see the 48 hr or 72 hr change.
If you test every 3-4 hrs during the day and immediately bring up the FC level to SLAM, and brush, it will ensure you the pool is kept at maximum FC level

Keep positive and once it starts to change then progression will speed up.

@stretchphoto How is it going???
Seems we may be stuck in the 17ppm FC range. Just added more bleach, I think the third today, to get it back up to 20.

Continuing to vac and scrub.

Still no sign of the bottom drain.

Carrying on…

eems we may be stuck in the 17ppm FC range. Just added more bleach, I think the third today, to get it back up to 20.
Don't fixate on the loss, losses will be variable. Fixate on the process. If you want some fun, check my logs and scroll all the way back to the beginning.

My slam...I had July 4th weekend looming. (new pool owner, just found TFP after being pool stored). Started on June 25/26 (didn't get the PM subscription until June 30). I tested and replaced about every two hours, 10am to 2am for 8 days...yeah, its in the logs...slam ended July 3rd. Granted I have a 30K gallon pool and it was pretty bad. 48 gallons of chlorine. Saved the holiday weekend and we had a blast. Simple maintenance, now that I understand, and the pool is always ready.

I guarantee that you will completely understand your pool chemistry, when you are done and we re-balance your pool, and if you maintain your pool, your costs and time will be greatly reduced. You WILL be the MASTER of your pool.

Not Backing Down The Boss GIF by Britannia

Don't fixate on the loss, losses will be variable. Fixate on the process. If you want some fun, check my logs and scroll all the way back to the beginning.

My slam...I had July 4th weekend looming. (new pool owner, just found TFP after being pool stored). Started on June 25/26 (didn't get the PM subscription until June 30). I tested and replaced about every two hours, 10am to 2am for 8 days...yeah, its in the logs...slam ended July 3rd. Granted I have a 30K gallon pool and it was pretty bad. 48 gallons of chlorine. Saved the holiday weekend and we had a blast. Simple maintenance, now that I understand, and the pool is always ready.

I guarantee that you will completely understand your pool chemistry, when you are done and we re-balance your pool, and if you maintain your pool, your costs and time will be greatly reduced. You WILL be the MASTER of your pool.

Not Backing Down The Boss GIF by Britannia
I am learning a heck of a lot, no question about that.

And, as a bonus, my 12 year old daughter is internalizing the idea that care of one's pool is one's owe responsibility. She's quite the swimmer (swim team, BSA merit badges, aspiring to life guard) and understanding and being able to do some of this stuff will only enhance her marketability.

ps - all this does hav a little "use the Force, Luke" ring to it.

;)

Reactions: kimkats
BTW, I was relentless. I wanted this fixed. I got grandkids for the 4th! From the SLAM page...

Test and adjust chlorine levels as frequently as practical, but not more than once per hour, and not less than twice a day. Chlorine additions should be frequent, especially at the beginning. Algae and other organic debris will consume chlorine very rapidly at first.

I bit hard...and I was on it every 2-3 hours. Why did I bite so hard? I got A+ in chemistry in HS, and got a 5 on the AP chem test. After being pool stored, I thought, it can't be that hard. NO WHERE did anyone explain the chemistry until I found TFP and this thread:

Bought EVER SINGLE GALLON that Aldi had. Lady at the checkout said...I'm not going to ask. 🤣 🤣 🤣

I am learning a heck of a lot, no question about that.
Trust me, it will become second nature.

And, as a bonus, my 12 year old daughter is internalizing the idea that care of one's pool is one's owe responsibility. She's quite the swimmer (swim team, BSA merit badges, aspiring to life guard) and understanding and being able to do some of this stuff will only enhance her marketability. ;)
Outstanding and very cool!!!

BTW, I was relentless. I wanted this fixed. I got grandkids for the 4th! From the SLAM page...

Test and adjust chlorine levels as frequently as practical, but not more than once per hour, and not less than twice a day. Chlorine additions should be frequent, especially at the beginning. Algae and other organic debris will consume chlorine very rapidly at first.

I bit hard...and I was on it every 2-3 hours. Why did I bite so hard? I got A+ in chemistry in HS, and got a 5 on the AP chem test. After being pool stored, I thought, it can't be that hard. NO WHERE did anyone explain the chemistry until I found TFP and this thread:

Bought EVER SINGLE GALLON that Aldi had. Lady at the checkout said...I'm not going to ask. 🤣 🤣 🤣
I literally took all but two gallons off the shelf at Wal-Mart the other day.

"WHAT IF THEY RUN OUT? I *NEED* 15 gallons!"

(Please don't tell me I might...)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
And, as a bonus, my 12 year old daughter is internalizing the idea that care of one's pool is one's owe responsibility. She's quite the swimmer (swim team, BSA merit badges, aspiring to life guard) and understanding and being able to do some of this stuff will only enhance her marketability.
Thought about this another second. The notion that the pool store model is based upon your dependency upon them. Come to us, test your water, we will tell you what to do...and they reap the rewards of selling you stuff, that based on the basic chemistry, is not necessary...starts to develop critical thinking. That is worth a lot.

ps - all this does hav a little "use the Force, Luke" ring to it.
🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

Pools are a dance. You need to learn to flow with the pool. When you understand how it behaves, there is an intuitive response. I can't explain it, it just is. I know what is going on based on my testing.

FC demand creeps up even though swimmers and sun is consistent?...CYA must be down a bit.
SWCG is not keeping up in May?..oak catkins are consuming more FC.
Gonna have a pool party? Up the cell output in advance, or 10 minute break during the day, test FC, add chlorine to keep within target, good to go.

I know, June/July, cover on, no swimmers, SWCG 35%, good to go. Swimmer and sun? When I pull the cover, SWCG to 50% until I go to bed, then back to 35%. FC the next day, same as the last.

Last edited:
Thought about this another second. The notion that the pool store model is based upon your dependency upon them. Come to us, test your water, we will tell you what to do...and they reap the rewards of selling you stuff, that based on the basic chemistry, is not necessary...starts to develop critical thinking. That is worth a lot.

I think the next best example of this is the golf store with the hitting monitor.

If you believe that everyone coming through that joint isn't being recommended what the store has 25 sets of our the back, I dunno what to tell ya 🤣

Reactions: newdude
So the pool is looking better. I’ll post before/now photos soon. Water still quite cloudy, w robot & skimmer sock catching lots of tiny stuff.

What do you think of me adding some DE to the sand filter?

It’s a Pentair Tagelus TA-60/60D.

With optimism, I remain, your humble student -

Great Progress!!!

DE wouldn’t hurt!
Run your pump about 3000rpm when you add it or you won’t see the pressure rise and may add too much.

Look forward to pictures!!!
:nopic:

Last edited:
Reactions: HermanTX
Great Progress!!!

DE wouldn’t hurt!
Run your pump about 3000rpm when you add it or you won’t see the pressure rise and may add too much.

Look forward to pictures!!!
:nopic:
How do I control the rpm?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.