SLAMming Confused: Deal w CYA First? What is “SLAM Level”?

Color me confused.

I shouldn't check the chlorine first?

And, based on me asking ChatGPT "please calculate the amount of 10% liquid chlorine you need to add to your 22,000-gallon pool to achieve a 5 ppm concentration," I get the following answer:

"You would need to add approximately 11 gallons of 10% liquid chlorine to your 22,000-gallon pool to achieve a 5 ppm concentration. Remember to follow the manufacturer's instructions and safety guidelines when handling and adding chemicals to your pool."

Is that correct?
It was only off by a factor of ~10. :laughblue:

You didn’t specify a concentration of chlorine or something else so I’ll be charitable and suppose that was the issue.

What pump do you have, sorry, not in your signature...(maybe add pump and filter Make/model to your signature).
No apologies needed.

• Pentair Superflo Pump & Tagelus Sand Filter

(Now added to sig)

I've added DE previously with no issue.

Also wondering if I can now start dealing with the salt?

No apologies needed.

• Pentair Superflo Pump & Tagelus Sand Filter
Great pump, same as mine. Go to page 7 in the manual it explains how to increase the RPMs.
EDIT: (forget to paste the link...)

Simple answer is press the + button until the RPMs get to 3000. During normal slam, no need to run high speed, 1400-1600 is fine, but when you add DE run at 3000 so you can note when pressure rises 1psi
(Now added to sig)
Nice.
I've added DE previously with no issue.
Great.
Also wondering if I can now start dealing with the salt?
Adding salt has no impact on the SLAM process. Do you have a salt drop kit (K1766)? Make sure you test before you add. You may be surprised how much salt is already in the pool.

Last edited:
Great pump, same as mine. Go to page 7 in the manual it explains how to increase the RPMs.

Simple answer is press the + button on the RPMs get to 3000. During normal slam, no need to run high speed, 1400-1600 is fine, but when you add DE run at 3000.
I don't think we're talking about the same manual. This is all I have to refer to, via Google search:

Nice.

Great.

Adding salt has no impact on the SLAM process. Do you have a salt drop kit (K1766)?
I have the Taylor test strips and the Taylor kit that has the R-0718 and R-0630 reagents.

I don't think we're talking about the same manual. This is all I have to refer to, via Google search:
Got it. You have a single speed pump. You cannot adjust the RPMs. I thought you had the VSP. My apologies. That's why having model numbers in signatures really help...this mistake is on me.

Just run the pump when you add DE. Do it in 1/4 cup increments until filter pressure rises 1psi.

Reactions: stretchphoto
Are you brushing regularly? Do you have a light? Did you scrub behind the light? Did you remove and scrub the weir doors? Wanna get those early...

Are you brushing regularly? Do you have a light? Did you scrub behind the light? Did you remove and scrub the weir doors? Wanna get those early...
Only thing prob slowing this down is that I have a small attached spa that has a broken main drain. So there’s prob stuff there thats not supposed to be. I just use a small vacuum to pull out what’s on the floor of the 2 person spa.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Finally can see enough to really work w the light. That’s on the short list. Continuing to brush.

• Love
Reactions: PoolStored
Tomorrow, I promise. I have a pretty good sequence, I think.
oooooooooh...very cool! I wish I had done that...I don't even have a picture of the "before" swamp from mine :)

Willy Wonka Suspense GIF

• Haha
Reactions: RookiePick
Alright, guys. As promised.

I don't have as many "before" as I'd like, but this will give you the idea.

May 15 - May 27. I was out of town for three days right in the middle of the process.

Still can't see the danged bottom drain.

:(IMG_6232.JPGIMG_6272.jpgIMG_6522.JPGIMG_6578.JPGIMG_6630.JPGIMG_6632.JPGIMG_6643.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, guys. As promised.

I don't have as many "before" as I'd like, but this will give you the idea.

May 15 - May 27. I was out of town for three days right in the middle of the process.

Still can't see the danged bottom drain.

:(
Oh wow mine was so much worse then this. Makes me feel better that I’m on day 7 and still super cloudy water. Thanks for the pics!

Reactions: stretchphoto
ps - Heading back to walmart tonight. :rolleyes:
I know the feeling. You will be soooooo happy when you are back on SWCG, you are way ahead of the curve. That first year, I stayed on LC, and it was fine. Then I installed a stenner tank for chlorine dosing and it worked really well. I finally switched to SWCG fall of 21. Man I couldn't imagine going back to lugging jugs. And FC is so stable, it's kinda like magic.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.