George Whitzel

Jul 23, 2017
San jose, california
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Understand from reading other posts the SLAM process but my questions is should I only use liquid chlorine for maintaing the required FC level or can I shock (powder) to raise the FC as well. The reason I am asking is that I inherited several cases of 1 lb shock bags and wondering if I can out them to use in the SLAM process.

You could... but what kind of shock is it? One type will raise your CYA, and the other type will raise your CH. Do you have a test kit? Can we see your numbers?

The answer is maybe, but most likely no.

If you could stand a little extra CYA (SLAM is easier at 30ish, though) you could use some to raise it. If, however, it's Cal-hypo, you probably already have an overabundance of CH in your pool thanks to the hard water from your faucet. If it's Lithium Hypochlorite, no problem, but that stuff is mighty expensive. If it's monopersulfate, absolutely not. It interferes with the CC test.

My numbers are:

FC 12
CYA 60
TA 90
Ph 7.2

The Shock is called Pool Essentials from Walmart. The package says it's content is 53.5 % Trichloro-a-triazinnetrione. It says there is 46.5% other ingredients and the available chlorine is 48.6%.

My numbers are:

FC 12
CYA 60
TA 90
Ph 7.2

The Shock is called Pool Essentials from Walmart. The package says it's content is 53.5 % Trichloro-a-triazinnetrione. It says there is 46.5% other ingredients and the available chlorine is 48.6%.
Then it's a big No. The MSDS says the missing 46.5% is a trade secret. Could be borax, to counter the acidity, could be some kind of clarifier that will clog your filter with glue, could be aluminum or copper compounds. Whatever it is, you don't want to use it. Not unless you know what's in it.

Forgot to add

CH is 370. Also this is a SAG pool.
I knew CH would be high! I grew up in Cambrian Park and lived in the area for the first 40 years, so I'm familiar with the hard water.

While you're SLAMming, your chlorine source is bleach, so use that chart and forget about the SWG until it's done. Then you can raise CYA. I wouldn't advise using that powder you have to do it unless you can find out what's in it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.